No announcement yet.

Silica gel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing you should do is pull the cases out and just leave them out in the sun once in a while. That'll help evapourate the moisture that's built up in the fabric...
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

BTW: I have became 6 tiny silica gel packs with the new guitar
      and a big one...
      But, where can I get more of the big ones?..
      Last edited by Special-K; 01-11-2007, 04:57 PM.
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Try shoe stores...they usually have heaps.
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I will try...
          Thank you
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I live in Arizona... we don't have too many issues with moisture build up.

Hard part here is keeping things from drying out too much.
            Lots of oil is the key here.
            -Rick

Comment

Gunshop/ gunshow or safe dealer will have large bags of silica that are reusable... Once they absorb a certain amount of moisture, they stop working, but most of the larger bags have instructions on how to dry it out again to re use it. The small bags in most packaging may be different though, I wouldnt try to dry and re use those.... I feel they are too small to do much as well... you should have at least about 1/2 dozen of those little ones in a case, and replace them at least once or twice a year.

1 large bag can be opened and contents split among many cases (I pour some into an old sock and tie it) This is what I do with my guncases. If I stored guitars in cases, I would do the same.

Moisture is bad for strings and hardware, large swings in humidity are bad for wood and neck bow. Moisture does eventually penetrate ANY type of woodfinish, and normally is not too much to worry about,because the guitar will acclimate to it's environment, but large swings in humidty from very dry to very wet and back again, is what wrecks guitars and old furniture as well.

Of course everyone knows big temp swings are bad too right? DONT leave your guitar in a car on a hot day......

Comment

Someone once explained it to me like this. If your guitar goes from cold to warm the silica gel will absob the moisture from condensation. If you store the guitar in the case at a constant (warm) temperature it will dry the mudderfukcin hell out of the thing, especially rosewood and ebony. Personally, I never use them in the cases of guitars that don't travel or change climate. They all look good and have few problems with rust or corrosion. Some have sat in the case for 15 years or more.

Comment

I always keep my guitars out of the cases (otherwise I'd never play them!) so I figure as long as the humidity in the room is under control it's not a big deal.

I agree with others that big swings in temperature or humidity are very bad for anything made of wood.
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X