frets squished and cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
    i've got super slinky 9's. perhaps i should get d'addarios...
    I use super slinkys without any problems, have done for years
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

super slinkys are fine. D'addarios are actually a tighter tehnsiona and a harder string So it will ware them out faster. fret ware happens its part of being a guitar player.
      Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
        Oh also certain strings will make your frets ware out faster too like Dean Markley Blue Steel. I had those on my Stealth Pro once and it wore my frest out faster then the regular dean MArkley strings.
        I've heard this before but I think it's a myth. I've used blue steels on all my guitars since the 80's, and all my frets still look great.

Comment

The whole stainless steel fret altering the tone thing is bs as well...
          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

i had that problem on my PRS...i ate the frets up because i had a death grip on the strings. ive learned to lighten up and other than normal fret wear i havent had that problem anymore.

the way i cured my death grip was to push a string down slowly until i got a note out, then tried to do that over and over until i could do it quickly. then when i was playing i paid attention to my fretting hand and if i felt too much tension in my arm i could tell i was pushing down too hard, and i lightened up. it helps you play faster and more accurately as well!
            My metal band Lucian Scott
            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              I've heard this before but I think it's a myth. I've used blue steels on all my guitars since the 80's, and all my frets still look great.
              It's not a myth. Pure stainless steel strings will wear down frets faster than pure nickel or nickel-plated steel strings.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Fretwear is a fact of life; that's why it's one of the most-asked questions when someone is buying or selling a used guitar.

It happens much faster if you only have one guitar, or play one most of the time. If you have 10 guitars and rotate them you might never get that effect. If you have one and play your ass of on it, you'll wear some grooves in those frets. It happens most in the first few frets because you're playing those low position chords the most.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

thanks lerxscat
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yep its just normal wearing of the frets. Most of my guitars have it to some extent though none are bad enough for a dress yet. I always thought that if you use heavier strings then you are more likely to do wear quicker. It's kinda cool because it gives a small indication of what frets you play at most

Comment

i've just been quoted £60 for the re-dressing process. i don't think this would include a setup. that'd be another £40 on top.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        It's not a myth. Pure stainless steel strings will wear down frets faster than pure nickel or nickel-plated steel strings.
                        Blue Steels aren't steel strings... they are just regular dean markleys that have been dipped in liquid nitro for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          Blue Steels aren't steel strings... they are just regular dean markleys that have been dipped in liquid nitro for a bit.
                          Hmm. So they're different than their Blue Steel bass strings? The bass strings are definitely stainless steel. I thought the guitar version was the same. I actually haven't used them in many years.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                            thanks lerxscat
                            LerxScat? Kinky!

soc_monki made a good point when mentioning his death grip. I used to strangle my guitar necks too. It was actually getting into Jacksons, with their super low action, that made me lighten up a lot with both hands when I play.

A lot folks just grip their strings too hard. It's why you see so many secondhand guitars with fretwear outlines of cowboy chord shapes. My Fusion Plus has a definite first position D chord worn into the frets. Now, I've played the shit out of that guitar since I bought it some 6 or 7 years ago (it's still my go-to guitar), and I don't think I've significantly added to its fretwear. But you can still see that D-shape compressed into the first 3 frets.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Hmm. So they're different than their Blue Steel bass strings? The bass strings are definitely stainless steel. I thought the guitar version was the same. I actually haven't used them in many years.
                              dunno, don't use the bass ones. But there is no indication they are stainless steel on the packaging, nor do they appear to wear any differently than the regular Dean Markley strings (which I also use on occasion.) They just have a slightly brighter sound which I prefer.

Comment

[quote=VitaminG;844482]LerxScat? Kinky!

sorry, i didn't mean to misspell, honest!
                                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                                X