My action got high!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonghits View Post
    I think you meant the neck is the bow and not the arrow, right?
    Thanks. Edited.

Comment

Tighten your truss rod by 1/8th turns at a time, giving it at least an hour to adjust after each turn. I do it by using the string as a straight edge, holding the bass e at the first fret and at the fret that is right where the neck meets the body, in my case the 17th fret(Im pretty sure, guitars at home). You should just be able slip a cred/business card between the low e and 7th/8th fret while fretting the string as described earlier. Remeber the truss rod is not for adjusting action, you start with a straight neck and adjust the bridge ect. to get the right action.
      Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
        So after I adjust it I should give it a month to see if it straightened out?
        No, not that long. Depends. Sometimes it moves the neck within minutes, sometimes you might have to wait an hour or so or overnight.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

When I have adjusted the truss rod, the change has been more or less instantaneous. I usually detune a few strings first though, and lift them out of the way to give some clearance at the truss rod nut. Not sure if I'm doing it the "proper" way - I just did what I thought was natural.

Comment

Since it has a locking nut, you can loosen the 3rd and 4th strings a bit to give the tool some room to move, but DON'T unlock the nut! Keep the strings at full tension (that's what's pulling the neck forward).

Turn the truss rod clockwise a little and check the neck.

Usually when I adjust a truss rod, the tool goes on with the bar pointing towards my right shoulder (strings facing me), and I turn it to either point at me or point over my left shoulder (depends on how much adjustment the neck needs). You should be able to feel the tension increase as you tighten it by the tool getting a little harder to turn.

If it turns very easily (like screwing in a light bulb) then keep turning until it tightens up.

It's really best to find someone near you that knows how to do it, because it's easier to explain in a "hands-on" method than with words. A lot of it has to do with what you feel with your hands as you're adjusting the rod.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the help on this guys. I think I've done everything right so far, but the neck hasn't changed any. I adjusted it 1/8th turn tighter while in tune (E flat), nut locked, and floyd level.

I'll give it until tomorrow morning.

Comment

So now I've adjusted it 1/3 of a turn and the neck hasn't changed. I think this thing is fucked up. Hell, my cheap Ibanez's neck is straighter than this thing.

What are the chances this USA Kv2 came from Jackson with a broken truss rod?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  but DON'T unlock the nut!
                  Are you sure this is safe? I've always thought that you should unlock the nut and then adjust the truss rod. That's how I do it atleast.

Comment

Hey if it's a Floyd version, you might want to make sure the posts for the Floyd didn't popup out of the body and that the Floyd is actually in it's pivit point with the posts. Also look at the tremolo springs/screws in the back for any changes. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                      Are you sure this is safe? I've always thought that you should unlock the nut and then adjust the truss rod. That's how I do it atleast.
                      Yea I unlock the nut too. I guess if you don't unlock the nut you could loosin the string at the tuner but if you don't do one or the other, you risk breaking the string.

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                        Hey if it's a Floyd version, you might want to make sure the posts for the Floyd didn't popup out of the body and that the Floyd is actually in it's pivit point with the posts. Also look at the tremolo springs/screws in the back for any changes. Just a thought.
                        Floyd checks out and everything is fine. I adjusted it since I tuned it down half step during this process.

I think I'm taking it back to the shop this weekend. It's not even a year old, so if something is wrong, I'll be covered.

I'm thinking it's just my inexperience with all this adjusting cuz it's such a solid piece of craftsmanship that there can't be something wrong construction wise.

I'll let you know what they say. Shit, maybe I'll get home and it'll be straight?

Comment

Ha that would be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                            I leave mine locked so it's easy to move the D string out of the way to get at the truss rod, like Newc said. Then I unlock to re-tune. Never had any problems. I'm usually only making 1/8 of a turn at the most, though, since mine just move a tiny bit with the seasons. If it's way out and needs a big adjustment, I'd probably unlock and loosen all the strings.
                            Last edited by dg; 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                              Ha that would be nice!
                              Well, it isn't straight. the truss rod really won't tighten anymore or at least I'm not comfortable tightening it anymore. Time to take her to the shop!

Comment

I took it to the shop and the first guy to look at it said, "Holy Shit this needs adjusted." He started working on it and got the neck straight. He then tried tuning her up and decides it needs a complete set up. They are comping me on everything except the new strings since I bought the guitar there. Pretty fucking cool.

P.S. They had a nice usa trans green kelly listed for $1,600.

Comment

Working...
                                X