X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do this and you'll be fine.
    http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Another reason to string it normally is that is u break a string at practice, all you need to do is unwind, re-lock and you are good to go.
      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

...as was stated previously

I've seen people pull the ball end all the way against the post, and I've seen the inside of the post chewed to bits because of the windings near the ball end cutting into the post, and they have to be replaced becuase they eat new strings.

I just run them through the post and lock the ends in the saddle, no cutting of the end (Ernie Ball, anyway).

For the wound strings I do one wrap around the post then cut off the excess, but for the plain strings I wrap all but maybe 3 or 4 inches of the string around the post. Those are always the ones that slip the most (Floyd nut is great, but only AFTER you lock it down).

Wound strings do not need more than 2 wraps around the post, as the coils interlock enough to hold them in place, even without a locking nut.

And who in their right mind would believe that running the string "backwards" puts more tension on the neck? That's just ignorance.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've been stringing up with the ball end at the tuner for as many years as double locking trems have existed....never ever a problem. So what's the debate? Cosmetics?
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

My Wolfgang Standard came from the factory with the ball ends at the tuners. This was the first time I ever saw this method. This was back in '97. I've only changed the strings once on this guitar, so I used the same method. All my other guitars use the conventional method. Doesn't matter to me. I just want enough windings so it doesn't slip during the initial tuning. Then, I lock the nut down and forget about it.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

1. putting the ball end through the tuner WILL fuck it up in the long run. YOu may not notice it after 2-3-5 years, but you most definitely will after 10 or 15 of constant use. If you´ve ever had to replace tuners on a guitar that was strung up this way over a longer period, you´ll be able to see exactly how the locking twist chafes annd eats away at the inside of the post.
              2. have fun even trying it with anything heavier than 11s, at about a set of 12´s to 13s you´ll end up having to drill out the peg to get the low e through, weakening it even further.
              3. It can cause premature string breakage, esp. during the initial "tune up" and on heavier unwound strings (approx >0.017).
              4. IMPO it looks like either an absolute beginner or a total hack (your choice) strung up the guitar.

As far as tension goes: That´s complete and total unadulterated bullshit, regardless of whether you´re arguing that it´s better or worse. The tension of the string is in no way relevant to it´s "direction", but only to the note you tune it to on that specific guitar.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Why bother with more than one wind around the peg? You're locking down the Floyd nut anyway.
              If you look at a modern tuning peg, you´ll see it has a concave or "hourglass" profile. The idea is to have 1 wind above the string length exiting the "back", and 1 wind underneath it. These 2 winds, together with the concave profile, serve to clamp the end of the string "between itself". This makes it much less prone to slippage, contrary to just 1 wind where it can often happen that the string will actually work itself out of the tuning post and actually be aided by the single wind pushing it right into the middle of the hole where the resistance to slippage is lowest.

As you said, it´s a moot point once the nut is locked. But you gotta get that far, first. And restringing technique is something that IMO should be common to all instruments that do not either deviate from the standard (such as a slotted fender key) or have a different makeup in general (like a classical guitar), because there´s really only 2 ways commonly presented that can be IMO regarded as "correct". Though I´m not a fan of the "pull back and lock it against itself" technique in the link posted on wound strings because of the way it puts a kink in the core. So i use a combination of both: My wounds go through, one over, 1 under, done, while my unwounds use the "pull pack and up lock"
              Last edited by Zerberus; 12-25-2006, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                So i use a combination of both: My wounds go through, one over, 1 under, done
                That's usually how I do it as well, but for those really lazy moments I'll just do one wrap, stretch the strings well and then lock the nut. Never had any problem.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey hey. I have wound my strings with the ball thru the peg for around 20 years now-never had a problem with any guitar I did this to. Never had pegs wear out, strings break prematurly or any negative issues at all. As far as uniformity goes, I cut all stings right at the end of the trem after the string goes balls thru the peg, and they are all about the same winds around the peg. I like it and think it looks good as well, plus if you do break a string, just unwind a bit and resting it up until you get another string.
                  LATER!!!
                  H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Didn't mean to start any arguments, but sounds like some peeps don't like anything out of the ordinary. Thought I was being nice and giving a neat tip I learned a long time ago, this would be only for those who would want to try it, it is for aesthetics, no one else who does it has had any problems, and I will keep to myself from now on. TY to the nice people here, and a Merry Christmas to you.
                    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

so folks who string the same way as you are "nice people", and those (like myself) who have already tried the way you prescribe but believe the other way is better are not?

Don't let a little bit of dissent dissuade you from participating around here. If you believe (as you have indicated) that stringing a guitar with the ball end at the tuner is superior, keep doing it, but don't stop posting because others have a different point of view

Life's too short to get bent out of shape over such petty differences of opinion
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

4. IMPO it looks like either an absolute beginner or a total hack (your choice) strung up the guitar.This is what has irritated me.
                        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                          4. IMPO it looks like either an absolute beginner or a total hack (your choice) strung up the guitar.This is what has irritated me.
                          IMPO = In My Professional (or Personal, depending on context) Opinion

I assume that you simply did not know this acronym and therefore wrongly assumed it was an insult. I´m sorry for your mistake

Most common internet Acronyms can be found here: http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

Either way, if you´re entitled to your opinion, then don´t even try to deny me mine. Merry Axemas

Comment

Working...
                          X