What should I practise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slyder View Post
    Ok, I've been playing guitar for 6 months now... and I'm like one of these crappy guitarists that play's certain tunes again and again and ... well , you get the picture.

I know Hermonics, Pinch Hermonics, Finger Plucking and I can do a bit of shredding. I also know things like Hammer on's, Pull off's, Slides, ect.

I barely know any scales though or what I should practise on next. Anyone got any advice? Thanks if so =) !
    I'll pinch hermonics

6 months? Shredding?

Comment

Originally posted by Slyder View Post
      Thanks a lot. And to the 1st Poster to reply to this, I spelled Practise right so maybe you should think before posting stuff like that?

Well yeah, a lot of people said I shouldn't go for the more advance stuff now. And I don't do most things right, like Shredding for instance. But I can do the other things I mentioned (Which isn't a lot to consideration).

And I have always wondered what a Sweep Pick and Arpeggios were... could anyone send me an example? Lol, I barely know anything right now. I'll get to the scales now though.

And to me posting in the wrong section... I always get confused where to post things like this as it is a Question... but Meh, I should get use to this forum soon enough !

Wait, you're gonna pat yourself on the back for "PRACTISE"? Well, over HERE, it's PRACTICE. Take a Midol, Corky. It's all in good fun. Better grow a thick skin, quickly around here, or you're dead meat with these guys!
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Learn your basic Minor scale. You will find yourself using that more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
          Wait, you're gonna pat yourself on the back for "PRACTISE"? Well, over HERE, it's PRACTICE. Take a Midol, Corky. It's all in good fun. Better grow a thick skin, quickly around here, or you're dead meat with these guys!
          you're on him for defending himself when the word was spelt correctly (although differently to US spelling) and you were the one who called him out for spelling it incorrectly?

I'm glad no one has jumped down my throat for using "colour", "aluminium" or "tyre" or any number of other commonly used words which have been altered for American usage
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by seafoamer View Post
            hermonics are for girls.
            You are correct sir! If you're referring to female HORMONES.
            "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
              Learn your basic Minor scale. You will find yourself using that more than anything else.
              Damn staight. I use this scale all the time. Most rock solos are based around it. Too often people go off and learn loads of scales when a handful well applied will get you what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
                Not to be harsh, but the best thing to do is do a Google search for anything you want to know first. It will be a lot quicker and you'll get a lot more info. The other thing I would recomend is to invest in a metronome if you don't have one yet. That way you can take lessons and try them and if they are too fast, just slow down the bpm and play at the speed you are comfortable. The trick is to get your fingers to do what you want without having to think about it. And then as you are comfortable, work up your speed.
                Nah its ok , I'm open to anything people suggest. I know what you mean by the finger thing aswell, I usually play songs in a way I'm comfortable compared to the actual Guitarist (Which can be a bad/good thing at times). About the thinking about something else whilst playing something also, I know what you mean. I can do that fairly easily, but again at a speed I'm comfortable with.

I also did have Minor scales about a month ago. A good friend of mines wrote some out for me with a recodemended site to go on for them, but I lost the details so I guess the best way to go is to google them at the moment in time.

The scale I've been practising at the moment was a C Major scale at pattern 3 (Going by all-guitar-chords so far). So in a lot of spare time I need to practise on more scales also =\ .

To the Surprisement of Shredding aswell, I'm not bragging about it. I can only do so much of it without making mistakes so meh =\ ...

And to Racerx, if I'm defending myself for a spelling which is correct in the UK, I'd hate to see what happened if I spelled another word not to your standard. Again, you need to think before posting, but I have nothing against you while saying this...
                Last edited by Slyder; 12-09-2006, 06:48 AM.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ResizedSig.png

Comment

I can see where this is going to go!!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    you're on him for defending himself when the word was spelt correctly (although differently to US spelling) and you were the one who called him out for spelling it incorrectly?

I'm glad no one has jumped down my throat for using "colour", "aluminium" or "tyre" or any number of other commonly used words which have been altered for American usage
                    Dude, I was KIDDING with him, initially. What don't you two understand?
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sometimes it's hard to tell what people mean over the net, when things are in black and white. I know it's correct for how they spell it (now I sound like a racist, they, your people) but every time I see "equilisation" on a Marshall amp, I think "it's with a "Z"!

Comment

That's why I put "hehe" at the end, so he'd know I was ribbing him. Oh well, he'll get over it. My guess is that he's as new to forum chatter as he is at guitar, so he should just take it as a bit of newbie hazing. Greenhorns are so much fun! HEHE
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

go go gadget spellmaster, where are you now?

Comment

Lol!
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

If you were only kidding there, I'd hate to see what your not like when you aren't, "INITIALLY".

Yeah, see, I'm new to forum chatting but you mis-place words and try and make a mockery out of a way of spelling, even if it was partly kidding.

Er... Hmm... I don't need to say anything other than that. And seriously, it doesn't bother me about the new thing to Guitar. Because I am new to it, aren't I partly :P ?
                              Last edited by Slyder; 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ResizedSig.png

Comment

LOL. Yeah, I'm just having fun. And, yeah, you probably wouldn't like to see me when I'm not. Green skin, bulging pecs, torn shoes, bad hair.................wait, no................that's The Hulk, although my hair DOES suck, regardless. hehe. (See, there's that "hehe" again, which means I'm having fun. Weeeeeee!!!!!)
                                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                                X