No announcement yet.

Is this normal? - Long w/ Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that soloist clicks for you and the string allignment isn't causing you any problems playability wise, keep it.

Comment

thanks for the tip, seventhson

Comment

Update! This business with my rhoads is proving to be a real learning experience: yes, there is a reason why the screws aren't supposed to turn freely in the neck pocket! Toothpicks, stat! Expect more of me pestering you all if this doesn't work...

I'll save the details of my strap button migration adventure, but should I worry if I have a shorter neck screw in place of a longer one for a bit until I can get another long one?
        In other news, I took the soloist back. The string alignment didn't really affect playing, but it still bugged me, and knew it would continue to, so I decided to let somebody less finicky enjoy it more. But the quest continues. I'm working at one of the guitar stores in my town again for the season and the owner lent me his model 5 to try out, since he knew I was back in the market. nice!

I've been checking around on it. The EMG's are a nice upgrade I think. He's switched the JT-6 nut for a floyd nut and there's a weird wedge shim under it, frets are a little worn, of course. This guitar is about as old as I am, which I like. I'm not crazy about the JT-6, but it's not bad. Unfortunately, he knows how much it's worth and he likes it too, so I'm not going to get a steal like it seems that some do with these. What would you guys say? I don't have my heart set on it or anything. My continued thanks.
        Last edited by blazingelectricdeath; 12-03-2006, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Toothpicks are ok if you are repairing a strap pin, but you would need to dowel the the holes on the body and redrill to do it properly. How are the holes on the neck, stripped as well?

I wouldn't be using that clamp on your guitar. The best for this purpose are like so: http://www.adjustableclamp.com/isd33000.htm You wouldn't want to leave a bad impression on your board, would you?

If the fret wear is light, steel wool can burnish it out.

EMGs are a one trick pony. They sound really cool until the honeymoon wears off, IMO.

Comment

Thanks, the holes on the neck are fine, fortunately. I actually tried putting toothpicks in the neck first though just to correct the string alignment, but then i reread the thread. I thought that I was reading somewhere else on the board that toothpicks would be all right, but dowling is better i'm sure. It was somebody with a stripped charvel. I think that was stripped in the neck, but how could you tell if the body wasn't stripped out too? That looks like a nice clamp, but i am at least wrapping the clamp i've got now in cloth, hasn't dented the board, yet. Does anybody have an idea of how much I ought to pay for the charvel?
            Last edited by blazingelectricdeath; 12-03-2006, 04:40 AM.

Comment

The neck would not be stabe if the body was stripped.

For the Charvie, I'd say $400.

Comment

I put the neck back on and everything seems to be fine, no funny creaking when i use the trem. I guess I'll see how long it holds up. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                X