No announcement yet.

Shitty spray-cans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidity can kill the paint job for sure, especially black!

Comment

^^:ROTF: :ROTF:

I will get my bevels done by some dude that does some airbrush
      things and so on....
      I still wait to get his number but I have heard that he can do
      it 100% and that he does the painjobs really nice...
      So we will see...
      I will post pics when it`s done
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
        ^^:ROTF: :ROTF:

I will get my bevels done by some dude that does some airbrush
        things and so on....
        I still wait to get his number but I have heard that he can do
        it 100% and that he does the painjobs really nice...
        So we will see...
        I will post pics when it`s done

Man, ya don't need an airbrush to do bevels....all ya need is some tape.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I mean he does airbrushing and stuff...
          And he does paint jobs done so....

And I want the bevels filled like this :
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

ACK!! Your going to spray paint your RR?

Comment

I`m getting it professionally done!!!...
              Only the bevels
              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

What is everyone's paranoia about Krylon? It's just like anything else - there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Does Krylon have a built in clear coat? or do they make a clear to use afterwards? I must admit, its been probably 10 years since i have spray canned anything. Maybe their technology has changed since then. I just dont recall being too impressed with the results.

Comment

Their glossy stuff has somewhat of a clear (just to give it the glossy shine) but they also make a clear topcoat.

There's a guy on Ebay selling a book - How To Paint Your Own Guitar and get a factory finish using spray cans. I bought the book ($10, hey...) and after reading through it, as well as going through the pics on dude's website of guitars he's painted with Krylon, it looks like he's found the right way to do it, and from what I've read of "professional spray gear", there are important differences between the two methods. From what I've read of most people's Krylon attempts, they were trying to follow the "professional spray gear" method to the letter, and that's where they were messing up.

I started one paint project using the Ebay book, but I don't have the proper area to work - either the humidity is too high or the wind is blowing (cotton country - yay).
                    Maybe next Spring I can finish it up (or start all over and do it right from the ground up )

I did this using Krylon's 18K Gold Plate spray paint and trimmed in automotive pinstripe tape. Directly over the existing clear - so primer, no prep.

It looked good for my first attempt, but it had noticeable flaws which were my fault (hey, I didn't have the book then).
                    Last edited by Newc; 11-03-2006, 07:44 AM.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

^^ It looks really good...
                      It has some vintage touch!!
                      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

And here's what it looks like from 30 feet away....see the difference?

I'm glad you've got a good sense of humor Matt!
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

No.. I mean it really doesn`t look so bad
                          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                            And here's what it looks like from 30 feet away....see the difference?

I'm glad you've got a good sense of humor Matt!
                            It definitely looked better from afar

But the big problem was the mask I was using wasn't as snug as it shoulda been (in addition to my lack of skill )

Comment

Working...
                            X