No announcement yet.

Floyd not recessed? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like both and Kahlers too and have no problem playing any of them.The top mount floyds I like because of the neck angle but only on some guitars such as stars and Vs.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      It puts the bridge higher off the body, like a Les Paul TOM bridge, and has its neck tilted back more to accomodate this. Like Jacksonaxes said, you can put it down lower for less pull back or you can mount it flush on the body in some instances for dives only.
      funny, I have a recessed Jackson and I have the floyd higher off the body, the angle is just like on the LPs.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
        Has it really been that long that people don't remember the history of how Floyds were first installed, and how recesses came to be?
        Obviously. The kids that start playing these days weren't even born when the recessed Floyd landed.

Comment

If you were referring to me, I was around when Floyds were first beginning to be recessed. My question was not "how recesses came to be." I was wondering why someone would prefer NOT to have their Floyd recessed like a lot of the custom shop guitars that people are getting.
          Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
          www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 07:00 PM.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

I was wondering why someone would prefer NOT to have their Floyd recessed like a lot of the custom shop guitars that people are getting
              - 1 I personally like the trem to be higher so I can rest my hand on it. Last time I pulled up on the trem one of the strings slipped-I don't pull up anymore. 2 Dropped d tuning is a pain with a floating. 3 If a string breaks and you have the trem sitting flush your guitar stays in tune. 4 Most of the people buying customs are old school, not everything new is an improvement to us .

Comment

- 1??? I don't use Floyds. I simply noticed that in the pics of many of the custom shop guitars that there are a lot of non-recessed trems, so I was just curious why some prefer this to the recessed. I never said one was better than the other.
                Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

- 1??? I don't use Floyds. I simply noticed that in the pics of many of the custom shop guitars that there are a lot of non-recessed trems, so I was just curious why some prefer this to the recessed. I never said one was better than the other.
                  I was just stating what you will here. The dash was a typo by the way not supposed to be a -1. I myself have 3 kahlers, 2 hardtails, and 2 floyd recessed.

Comment

Floyd not recessed? Why?

> What I always liked was the cavity they were using on the late Model series,where a pocket was milled out under the fine tuners,for higher pull-ups,but still had the plate above the body. I haven't found a perfect way to block the trem up on a recessed body yet,I tend to remove all the strings at once when changing,on my Model 5 or the ones I lost that had a non-recessed Floyd,I used a small replacement lense for a welding helmet covered in felt,and it slid right under the baseplate perfect. Tommy D.
                    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by TommyD View Post
                      > What I always liked was the cavity they were using on the late Model series,where a pocket was milled out under the fine tuners,for higher pull-ups,but still had the plate above the body.

Aha! I was just wondering about that in the USA Charvels forum, has anyone done that after purchase? That would be best, becuase I like the feel of the non recessed a little better, but want the option to pull up like a madman a in Dragonforce cover band!!!

Comment

I think the main reason I prefer a non-recessed floyd is that it's what I grew up playing & it's what's most comfortable for me. Never had any problem with pull-up range with them either. I can get used to a recessed trem, but just haven't bought many or kept any of them.

Comment

I started playing guitars with Fender style hardtails or v-trems, but I still prefer a taller bridge. I think it has to do with the angle of my picking hand - I feel like I can move my wrist more naturally over a tall bridge.

Comment

Working...
                          X