Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
    So that pretty much brings us back to bondo huh? :ROTF:

Hey, maybe I should do some sound clips with various guitars and let you guys guess which ones have bondo in them! That would be fun.
    Dont take what I said the wrong way... your work is great and the end result is awesome! I just personally wouldnt be comfortable with using that much Bondo... Not even from a tonal standpoint, more from a longevity standpoint. I know in autobody, usually the rule of thumb is no more than 1/8" of Bondo... now Im no autobody guy, Ive done my share of it but I could be wrong.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
      Dont take what I said the wrong way... your work is great and the end result is awesome! I just personally wouldnt be comfortable with using that much Bondo... Not even from a tonal standpoint, more from a longevity standpoint. I know in autobody, usually the rule of thumb is no more than 1/8" of Bondo... now Im no autobody guy, Ive done my share of it but I could be wrong.
      No, you're absolutely correct. On an automobile you really don't want much over 1/8". This is because of the road vibrations and bumps.....the thicker the bondo, the heavier it is, so the easier it would be to hit a bump and knock a big chunk out. It has nothing to do with the stability of the bondo though, just its weight and holding power to the steel. Since a guitar isn't prone to road vibrations and chug holes (at least mine aren't), the thickness isn't an issue. As far as longevety, well I guess we're still testing that! I have bondo guitar mods going on two years old with no problems yet. 10 years from now?...we'll just have to wait and see. As far as tone goes, I don't know how sensitive your ears are, but I can't tell any difference at all.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

You could also route out the neck pickup hole to try and get a better shape (square) and then fill it with a block of wood that fits it better.

I personally don't think bondo would be bad as long as it's mixed correctly and you angle the neck pocket like MM2002 did so as to hide the lines when it's all done.

man that looks scary!

Comment

Thing is, I'm not planning on changing the neck though..I'm gonna use the original neck, but remove the neck PU and switch, and then install a SD JB in the bridge..
          My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
            Thing is, I'm not planning on changing the neck though..I'm gonna use the original neck, but remove the neck PU and switch, and then install a SD JB in the bridge..

So, you're definitely gonna use less bondo.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'd go with the Duncan Distortion.

Comment

Working...
              X