Bridge wont go down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
    I'm wondering if the knife edge of the trem is not in the groove of the post, like the knife edge is hanging up above the groove??
    Yeah, I was wondering that too (like in that one ebay auction posted here yesterday), but that would look pretty obvious, no?

Comment

The inserts of the 580s I've owned would all come out easily, especially if you removed the strings leaving the trem tilted backwards pushing against the post.

I'm going to go with the suggestion that this is what has happened.

You need to remove the springs from the tremolo and push the inserts back down into the body. The tops of the inserts should be even with the holes they sit in, but can be lower.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well it looks like ye were right about the insert coming out of the body. I think I'll try put some glue in and push it back in as was suggested. This method will be fine yes? Pics to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
          Man I was also thinking it was the knife edge not in the groove but I see now it's not. Well that’s no big deal anyway. Just use glue and the steps as suggested earlier.

If you ever thought about an OFR now is the time!

Comment

That's what I was picturing in my head. When the strings were off & the trem rocked back, it acted like a lever & popped the bushing out. It should be good to go in no time.

Comment

Just thought I'd add how to put the trem back in after the bushing is glued back in...

You basically just reverse the order on how you take it off:

1. Put the trem back in the guitar. Make sure the knife edges are sitting in the grooves on the posts.
              2. Hold the trem down while you put the springs back in the sustain block. This can be sort of fiddly to do with one hand.
              3. When the springs are back on, tune the guitar up while checking that the knife edges are sitting in the right place.

Comment

Cheers for the help lads. I've not slipped the part back in but I did a quick test and managed to put the bridge back on without any hassle. I was really worried that I'd I'd have to replace the bridge or have some major work done to my guitar. Thanks again.

Comment

I thought I'd let ye know how I got on.
                  I'd no glue handy but I needed the guitar so I just popped it back flush with the body. It stayed in and I tuned it back up to pitch. No problems so far. If it ever comes out again I'll be glueing it back down.
                  I was wondering if me using the floyd much could cause it to come loose again? I'm a fairly heavy trem user and I give it some abuse. Perhaps this may have helped cause the problem in the first place?

Comment

Throw some glue in there on the next string change.
                    Since the failed bushing is on the trem arm side, be careful doing heavy pull ups on the trem as you may end up pulling the bushing out.
                    I doubt it will happen as there is plenty of horizontal force being applied by the strings and springs, but ya never know.
                    -Rick

Comment

You do need to glue it back in if you are a trem abuser.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking of glueing in the next time I do a full string change. I am pretty hard on my trem so it will probably be for the best. Other than this problem I like the 580. It keeps its tune well and I like the feel of it. I'm not fully used to the Floyd on my SL2 yet and I've played some other licensed trems that was much worse than this one. Some people here seem to be against this trem though.

Comment

That happened with my SL2H. Just gave it a small couple of taps and it was fixed. What probably happened was when you placed the cloth in the trem cavity, you placed it too forward creating a lever effect.

-Nate
                          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

The Takeuchi (sp?) built 580LP trems are great.
                            Very stable IMO, and I've never had a problem with them.
                            Next time you have it out, flip it over and see who made it.
                            -Rick

Comment

That was what I saw written in the bridge. I take it the newer ones are not as good?

Comment

Working...
                              X