Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difference between a split hum, and a true single..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting point about retaining the the hum-cancelling properties, but aside from that point, it's still the same thing: reducing the number of windings that the signal passes through. Whether that means using only one of 2 coils or less than 100% of a single coil, it's still reducing the number of windings the signal passes through.

I wonder how much Duncan would charge for a hum that was tapped as you suggest - instead of one complete coil on or off, it uses half of each coil to maintain the humbucking, and then can also be split so you're using roughly half of that?
    You'd need a Varitone switch for one pickup
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
      I´ve always liked actual singlecoils better than split humbuckers... I cant´give you any specifics as to why, really, but that´s how I feel. But then again the "singlecoil tone" is a big part of my sound, since I do alot of clean stuff and use them quite a bit for leads as well... so I might look at it a bit different than someone who wants the possibility to do an occasional bit with a singlecoil-ish tone.

I guess most manufacturers focus on getting a humbucker to sound great as a humbucker, not wanting to compromise too much in construction to also get a great singlecoil-sound out of the split mode. I´m just guessing here, but one half of a regular high output humbucker probably differs a bit in spec from your average singlecoil.
      Generally true. But there are models (Duncan Stag Mag, Rio Grande Tallboy & Muy Grande) that are meant to sound good split. They have a high wind count and use alnico poles instead of slugs with a magnet underneath. As you'd expect, they sound good split - definitely in the "true single coil" ballpark IMO, though maybe not a particular player's "ideal" single coil. Also as you'd expect, the bucker sound is "compromised" - but how much that matters depends on what the player likes. I LOVE the Stag Mag as a neck bucker.

IMO the best option is ONE "single coil" single with one "bucker" coil - same "splittability", but less compromise on the bucking sound. I have an SK custom like this at the bridge, and it's great. I don't get why more companies don't do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester700 View Post
        Generally true. But there are models (Duncan Stag Mag, Rio Grande Tallboy & Muy Grande) that are meant to sound good split. They have a high wind count and use alnico poles instead of slugs with a magnet underneath. As you'd expect, they sound good split - definitely in the "true single coil" ballpark IMO, though maybe not a particular player's "ideal" single coil. Also as you'd expect, the bucker sound is "compromised" - but how much that matters depends on what the player likes. I LOVE the Stag Mag as a neck bucker.

IMO the best option is ONE "single coil" single with one "bucker" coil - same "splittability", but less compromise on the bucking sound. I have an SK custom like this at the bridge, and it's great. I don't get why more companies don't do this.
        SK? Who are they? Sounds very interesting.

Comment

Stephen Kersting, a custom winder. Ibanez also uses this idea on a new pickup, and also add a dummy coil below the "splitting" coil so that it's still bucking when split - it becomes a "stack" design. Unfortunately, it's not a top line pickup, so reviews are mixed. It'd be interesting to see how well Duncan or somebody would do with this.

Comment

The Ibanez Duo-tone, or some similiarly named whatsit? A friend of mine bought an SA equipped with it, he said it sounded weak and lifeless...

Comment

single coil one wire start to finish -/+. stacked 2 bobbins, 2 wires 2+/2- one from each wired together. same as a parallel wired humbucker. wiring the the +from one bobbon to the - of the other & visa versa is series wired humbucker or standard. coil tapped is using either one coil or some winding from each coil, for a weaker more single esque sound. if you took to single coils wired them in series & placed them right next to each other its basically a humbucker.

* i dont always agree, i had a duncan cool rail & it sounded great coil tapped.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                Sorry Joe, but that sounds wrong, unless I misunderstood you..?

Put very simple:

Humbucker (typical)
                lots of copper wire (many windings) = high DC resistance (Kilo ohm) = high output, fat sound, reduced high end and dynamics (low resonant peak).

Single coil (typical, true)
                shorter copper wires (fewer windings) = low DC resistance = low output, bright and clear sound, lots of sparkle and dynamics, quack! (high resonant peak).

It's a trade off. Bright sparkly sound (high freq) is lost in the typical high output humbucker due to the long wire used.

There's a lot of other factors involved, the above is just the most significant regarding frequency response.
                Sorry Henrik but Hi-output has nothing to do with Hi-DC resistance!
                A X2N has only 14.8 K but is the loudest passive ever with about 510 mV
                The duncan PATB2 has 21K and has just 400ish mV output!
                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

Rio Grande pickups make a model called the Tallboy that is a "true splitting" pickup...it's designed to have the properties of a true single coil when split, not just a tapped humbucker. Sounds pretty damn good!

Comment

The number of windings around a coil does effect resistance. Typically the greater number of windings, the stronger the output, and also tone..'but', type of magnet and its strength also have their effects on output and some also say tone. 'Course, I don't make or wind pickups, so what do I know.

Comment

If you want a H/S sound get a EMG 89 .

Comment

...... (deleted, i'm too tired)
                        Last edited by jackson1; 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM.
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I have a Duncan distortion that is killer when in full humbucker or out of phase with itself. but when its split to single coil it sounds dark for a single coil. Being a ceramic magnet it should be brighter than it is but all the windings seem to be hindering the brightness of it. A real good single coil sound from a split hum to me is the PAF pro Or the PAF Fred in the Ibanez JS1000. It just sounds like a single when split. And like a full fat hum when not split. Maybe its just me but the lower output hums when split seem to have the sparkle of a true single coil vs th ehigher output ones.
                          Gil

Comment

Working...
                          X