WTF...Stripped neck bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
    Stewmac has custom toothpicks made of quartersawn hard rock maple.
    :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: . I use skish kabob skewers, they are just about the right size and they are made of bamboo. The stringiness of them just seems to me to make a super-tight fit once you screw the screw in and twist the strings. It works for me.
    Last edited by fett; 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
      :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: . I use skish kabob skewers, they are just about the right size and they are made of bamboo. The stringiness of them just seems to me to make a super-tight fit once you screw the screw in and twist the strings. It works for me.
      I used those skewers to fix all the overdrilled holes on a guitar before. They worked perfectly.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

See. I'm not as dumb as I look.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

the newest Malmsteen strat uses machine screws for bolts and inserts in the neck

Comment

> Stewmac has custom toothpicks made of quartersawn hard rock maple.

haha... just stick a piece of maple instead of a toothpick, if you think a toothpick (most often pine wood?) will be too mushy.

As for the "value for the sake of value" thing (own a piece of history, made in USA, serial#000069, etcetc..) well if it's worth that much then sell it to a museum!
            Last edited by delt; 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              No... I don't think I would do that.

The toothpick method works great when you're repairing a stripped strap-button hole, but something like a neck screw that is helping fight against over 100lbs psi trying to fold the guitar in half deserves a proper repair.

Dowel it and re-drill. That's what a luthier would do.
              So uh...

Where did you come up with a guitar neck under normal pressures being at or over 100 pounds per sqaure inch?

Toothpicks work just fine. Tho, I would dowel myself.

Comment

My Jackson strat has had a stripped neck bolt ever since i got it 4 years ago and I experience no problems whatsoever

People on this very forum have told me that they only use two screws for attaching the neck to the body when doing adjustments(such as adjusting truss rod with Fender necks) and tune them up with no problems. So even just two screws are sufficient.

But hey, it's your guitar, do what you like man...

Comment

Working...
                X