Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else use EMG's for a long time than go back to passives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on an EMG kick for a while as well, but now that I've really determined what I'm looking for in my sound I can honestly say I don't like them at all. I prefer the Duncans any day of the week....EMGs just sound way too sterile. Brutal...but sterile. Does that make any sense? lol

Comment

Originally posted by jk2171 View Post
      I was on an EMG kick for a while as well, but now that I've really determined what I'm looking for in my sound I can honestly say I don't like them at all. I prefer the Duncans any day of the week....EMGs just sound way too sterile. Brutal...but sterile. Does that make any sense? lol
      yeah brewtal is one way to describe them
      they are all about output and not real good tone though
      the dimarzio zones have plenty of output buy a real good tone as well and are just as dynamic and quiet
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I have two guitars loaded with EMGs when I feel like playing passives I choose DiMarzios

Comment

Ive gone back and forth with emg's over the last 10 years. Finally found a a Pickup that , to me, has the right balance.
          BareKnuckle Miracle Man
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I have used guitars with both EMG's and Passives. I have found that certain guitars just sound right with EMG's while others sound just right with passives. For passives, I use mostly Dimarzio Super Distortions or Duncan Distortions in the bridge with other types (Jazz, PAF) in the neck. But to me....I like the way my guitars sound with EMG's when going through an effects processor pedal (ZOOM 505II or a Digitech multi effects pedal) in the front of my Marshall combo. Seems very SMOOOOTH sounding on distortions. On the other hand, some of my passive guitars sound a little muddy through the same setup, but sound great straight into a cranked amp!

I guess it all comes down to the type of sound you are looking for and the type of setup you are playing through. That equals a LOT of experimentation and money spent on different pickups. But, what the heck....it's fun trying, don't ya think???
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

i also want to try and Xn2
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

X2N is really loud (around EMG levels), with nice tight bottom end. If you normally like EMGs, I think it would be right up your alley. Sounds like a hot strat when split.

I personally just don't like its voicing - too flat for me - I like the DD a lot better for that reason alone, even though it's much muddier in the bass register than the X2N.

Comment

that sounds good. i actually prefer a flater sound so that the pup doesn't color the wood, amp, and speakers natural voicing as much.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ive used both...Duncans, PRS pickups, and EMGs, as well as other pickups here and there. ive come to the realization that i like EMGs better than most anything. they have an attack and clarity to them that i really like, and that i cant find in most other pickups. i like other pickups, like the Duncan Distortion in my Music Man...or even the Duncan Designed HB103's that came in my DX10, which were VERY close to the Distortion they were based off of...but i just find that the EMGs do it for me.

and they DO sound different in every guitar. i had a set in my PRS for the longest, and when i retired the guitar for the while, i took them out and put them in my RR3, and that guitar sounded totally different. the PRS was much warmer sounding. both are made of Alder. same with the DX10...way different from the PRS, even different from the RR3. they still have that same character, but the overall tone is different. however, EMGs are more consistent IMO...i tried a JB in the PRS...sounded like complete ass. no cut, flubby bass...put it in an Aria Pro II and it kicked ass. but i know if i load EMGs in a guitar, that im pretty much going to be happy with it. less experimentation = faster i can be happy and get to playing!

still want to try a Dimarzio Evo though...LOL
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                      less experimentation = faster i can be happy and get to playing!

Great Line!!!!
                      Guitars:
                      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                      1988 Model 2,
                      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                      RR3
                      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

I have guitars with EMG;s 81,85,89 & SA and they get played the most. With the sound mod you can buy you can get any sound you want . With passive pickups one day they sound great the next so hot ,with EMG's the sound is consistent. And NO!! all my guitars with EMG's don't sound the same. Out of 30 plus guitars I own 5 have EMG's the rest have Dimarzio (SD.PAF& X2n) Duncans (JB's ) stock Gibson (The mid 70's one with the epoxied back were the worst sounding I ever tried) Jackson pickups ect.

Comment

Using EMG's for 15 years, just now sticking with one guitar & EMG89. Switched back to Dimarzios my fav since 81.

Comment

Used only emgs for about 5 years with a JCM 800 Lead half stack... they were great for the "gravel on the face" sound and piercing highs but that was about it.

After hearing all the variations I can get with the SD trembucker, jazz neck, hot rail etc, I don't think I'd ever go back to EMGs.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                              I have guitars with EMG;s 81,85,89 & SA and they get played the most. With the sound mod you can buy you can get any sound you want . With passive pickups one day they sound great the next so hot ,with EMG's the sound is consistent. And NO!! all my guitars with EMG's don't sound the same. Out of 30 plus guitars I own 5 have EMG's the rest have Dimarzio (SD.PAF& X2n) Duncans (JB's ) stock Gibson (The mid 70's one with the epoxied back were the worst sounding I ever tried) Jackson pickups ect.
                              thats another reason i like EMGs...the consistency. they ALWAYS sound like i imagine theyre going to sound. no muss, no fuss!
                              Available Now!
                              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                                Great Line!!!!
                                thank you! not to say im against experimenting...sometimes thats the best way to get inspired and be creative...but sometimes you find what works and stick to it. i know what i like...EMGs, 5150s, and Celestion G12m70's or G12T75s. i do have an alternate setup now (peavey Rockmaster preamp, Mosvalve MV-962) but i can get a similar tone out of it but it has its own flavor, so its a great addition

but, i really just like to plug and play...and i know what i like, so its easy to do that LOL
                                Available Now!
                                New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                                X