No announcement yet.

Crack at the Floyd Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a very common occurance on non-recessed post whammy bridges. I just built a new guitar from a one piece mahagony blank and that happened on one of the posts. It's a highly stressed area. In my case the hole was not reamed to optimum size. I'd just leave it alone, unless the insert starts moving around or affects your tuning. It's cracking with the grain.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! (thats why I love this forum!). I think I will try the glue and just leave the insert in and hope for the best.
      Cory.

Comment

I agree with Dave on the thin super glue.

Fett, I just have to ask, if the crack goes from the pickup route to the trem post hole, where in the hell are you going to drill any holes? Seems to me the holes that stop the crack are already there, and it shouldn't have anywhere else to go now.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I saw his particular situation and glue looks like the right mend. Just keep in mind the other trick.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Start with the glue first and then if that does not hold you will have to plug it somehow, personally i can't see glue holding it, don't forget there is a lot of tension those strings hold....

there's one guitar Sean gave me to fill in with chunks of wood and plug the holes in, the glue i used was in a tin and you had to mix it with water, i wish you'd seen how much work i put into this guitar, the glue really held together.

As said start off simply and if that does not work move onto the next stages. Hey my piano has the biggest crack on the soundboard one end to the other but it still plays okay, i ain't repairing that thing!

Comment

Originally posted by 24seven
              Start with the glue first and then if that does not hold you will have to plug it somehow, personally i can't see glue holding it, don't forget there is a lot of tension those strings hold....

there's one guitar Sean gave me to fill in with chunks of wood and plug the holes in, the glue i used was in a tin and you had to mix it with water, i wish you'd seen how much work i put into this guitar, the glue really held together.

As said start off simply and if that does not work move onto the next stages. Hey my piano has the biggest crack on the soundboard one end to the other but it still plays okay, i ain't repairing that thing!

But you have to remember one thing, if it's glued properly, the bond should be stronger than the wood itself -
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yup if done correctly it will be stronger than original. I have a pointy headstock that was sheered off at the g string the i glued back in place and clamped for 3 days and its held together for over a year under standard tuning and 9's Im sure it would hold with heavier strings too. but i use 9's so.

Comment

Working...
                X