Mahogany Explorer pickup ques: 500T replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maxboost
    How can you identify Gibson pickups? Mine just have a Patent # on them.
    Then you have Gibson pat. number PAF's.

Comment

hmmm...thanks. mine are black with no cover the Pat # ended in ...842 I think, and they both were the same.

Comment

Yes ending 842. You can solder or glue in some Gibson covers if you like that look. <p>

Comment

Real PAFs have just the PAF sticker as do the 57s.The Shaw(gibson) pickups will have 137 and 138 stamped on the base plate.Shaws were used in the customs and studios from 82-84.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Should have said pat. number Gibson pickups.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Looking into the pots/capacitor first.

I tend to like duncans so far, but I am sceptical that the custom is the "magic" pickup for me. I really like them in Alder/Basswood bolt on strats, but you never know.

I would be willing to check on a dimarzio SD or Duncan JB since I didn't like them in the stratty guitars, the difference in wood makes sense to me.

The miracle man is tempting too.

I am surprised that no one mentioned a dirty fingers or seconded my Gibson Alnico Pro II thought.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
              X