No announcement yet.

Which blade pickups rock your socks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see a lot of you are mentioning the hot rails. Would it make a nice neck pickup in my DK2? I have the Duncan Distortion already in the bridge so the stock neck and middle pickups suck IMO.
    E = Fb

Comment

Duncan does make a neck version of that pup so yeah it would go fine in the neck.
      Gil

Comment

The Dimarzio Multibucker DP157 , Combines Fast Track 1 and Chopper pickups, both sounds plus humbucker.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...52&src=3WFRWXX

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
          stewmac or bill lawrence.com? How did they fare in all those guitars?
          Bill & Becky made. Actually, the one in the Blazer I bought in 85 or 86, I think there was only one Bill Lawrence company then. I've stuck with this pickup in the bridge because in my (admittedly limited) experience it has been the best I have found for staying clear and articulate when playing leads under a good deal of distortion from the gain cranked up. I used a Marshall 3203 half stack with no extra distortion back then. I use different amplification now, a pod through a NAD stereo amp, pod though the power stage of 3203 into a 1960A cab, and a Roland GP8 to a Bassman to the 1960A. I'm comparing the BL to direct experience with GIbson 498 T, SD JB, and whatever humbucker came stock in an Ibanez Blazer and a Ibanez Proline RR style V. I think the main charm of the BLs is they produce a lot of drive but seem to have achieved a nice even output. I found the 498 T too gritty. I liked the JB but it is almost too smooth. Really, the 498 had to go from the LPC but the JB could have stayed in the SLATQH. I like the BL better but the JB was not offensive.
          Last edited by Tashtego; 09-03-2006, 03:15 PM.

Comment

All I know is my Sebring and my Kramer, cheap guitars maybe, have rail pups. And I like it. I have a question. Just how many manfacturers make pickups? Not many, I bet.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett
              Just how many manfacturers make pickups? Not many, I bet.
              Quite a few companies actually make their own pickups. I hear there's not many string manufacturers, though.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have X2N's in my RX10D and RR3..really like them. Thinking of putting them in the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego
                  Bill & Becky made. Actually, the one in the Blazer I bought in 85 or 86, I think there was only one Bill Lawrence company then. I've stuck with this pickup in the bridge because in my (admittedly limited) experience it has been the best I have found for staying clear and articulate when playing leads under a good deal of distortion from the gain cranked up. I used a Marshall 3203 half stack with no extra distortion back then. I use different amplification now, a pod through a NAD stereo amp, pod though the power stage of 3203 into a 1960A cab, and a Roland GP8 to a Bassman to the 1960A. I'm comparing the BL to direct experience with GIbson 498 T, SD JB, and whatever humbucker came stock in an Ibanez Blazer and a Ibanez Proline RR style V. I think the main charm of the BLs is they produce a lot of drive but seem to have achieved a nice even output. I found the 498 T too gritty. I liked the JB but it is almost too smooth. Really, the 498 had to go from the LPC but the JB could have stayed in the SLATQH. I like the BL better but the JB was not offensive.
                  My XL seems shockingly rude... I've had to tone down the bass to about 4 to stop it from sounding lke shit. I just love em, I can see why Dime did.

Although it can sound a tad "raw", reason why I've been interested in testing a Dimebucker is that I'm wondering if it brings a more EQ-ed feel to that sound. If it did it would be down right awesome.

X2N also seems to be a good bet from what you guys say.

Comment

Just diggin this up again.... Who has comments on the SD Iommi pickups?

Comment

The Iommi just doesn't do it for me.

The Bill Lawrence 500XL sounds great as a neck pickup (only good in the bridge if you flip it upside down like Dime did)
                      With that in the neck, I'd put a Dimebucker in the bridge. Hellyeah!
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

DiMarzio Chopper and Fast Track are bad-ass neck pickups!

-a

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3
                          The Iommi just doesn't do it for me.

The Bill Lawrence 500XL sounds great as a neck pickup (only good in the bridge if you flip it upside down like Dime did)
                          With that in the neck, I'd put a Dimebucker in the bridge. Hellyeah!
                          Isnt an XL a tad shockingly overpowered for neck pos? Besides, I have it on authority from the BL forums that the "flipping upside down" thing is probably Dime just hypin' it up, apparently it makes no difference...

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
                            Isnt an XL a tad shockingly overpowered for neck pos? Besides, I have it on authority from the BL forums that the "flipping upside down" thing is probably Dime just hypin' it up, apparently it makes no difference...
                            I just put a Bill Lawrence USA L500XL in my '93 Jackson Fusion. It replaced a Jackson J85 (bridge) and I really like it! I didn't feel like waiting for a Bill and Becky, but I will order one this week and compare them when it arrives. I installed it flipped. When I take it out to put in the Bill and Becky one I'll flip it right-way-round first and see if it's any different. By the way, where are the BL forums? Karl

Comment

Have a look over at www.nocaster.com

Comment

killer blade pups?

EMG 81!
                                under the hood they look like a 500XL
                                even though i am having some thoughts of going passive the 81 is definitely a killer blade pup
                                Last edited by savage; 09-11-2006, 11:31 AM.
                                If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                                X