No announcement yet.

Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd think a manufacturer would develop a neck pup w/ proper spacing...
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Okay ... This thread prompted me to take some photos. My conclusion is that nobody makes any pickups with proper spacing

http://howheels.org/?p=73

Some are closer than others ...

-a

Comment

Here's my strat - the poles are always off on the neck pickup on strats.

-------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I think the angle of my photo combined with the neck radius makes it look like my low E is on the edge but it's the same distance from the edge as the high E.
          E = Fb

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
            Looks to me like the bridge route is off center, or the neck pocket is crooked. I know the pup poles never line up perfectly with the strings on those anyway, but why is the low E string right on the edge of the fretboard, and the high E string is a mile from the edge? If that one problem were corrected, the pup poles would be much closer to correct.
            Just a note- since Axe Chemist posted this is not an issues on his.... but

Sometimes the neck is not straight in the pocket, *slightly* loosen the neck bolts and holding the body in one hand, neck in the other, with your knee over the neck joint... and pull! remedies that issue pretty quick. Change the angle of the neck a little... dont snap the neck off! Retighten the neck bolts.

Factory pickgaurds are stamped out on a press, not routed. All pickup routes are always exactly the same place- problem is not the pickguard, it's the pole spacing, or neck alignment in the pocket.... but if the strings are centered down the end of the fretboard, neck alignment is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Postal
              Just a note- since Axe Chemist posted this is not an issues on his.... but

Sometimes the neck is not straight in the pocket, *slightly* loosen the neck bolts and holding the body in one hand, neck in the other, with your knee over the neck joint... and pull! remedies that issue pretty quick. Change the angle of the neck a little... dont snap the neck off! Retighten the neck bolts.

Factory pickgaurds are stamped out on a press, not routed. All pickup routes are always exactly the same place- problem is not the pickguard, it's the pole spacing, or neck alignment in the pocket.... but if the strings are centered down the end of the fretboard, neck alignment is fine.
              Most definitely, and I've done it a million times. But... if the problem was as exagerated as that pic makes it look, and the neck pocket is as tight as it looks there, there's not enough room for enough movement to correct that. Just sayin.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Now I'm getting anal about this.:ROTF: The high E on my 1A looks the same at the neck pup. It kinda makes sense if the poles don't become closer as the strings go from 2 inches or whatever to 1 5/8 inches at the nut. Two things solve that problem. 1: is pup covers.:ROTF: :ROTF: And 2: Rail pickups.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett
                  Now I'm getting anal about this.:ROTF: The high E on my 1A looks the same at the neck pup. It kinda makes sense if the poles don't become closer as the strings go from 2 inches or whatever to 1 5/8 inches at the nut. Two things solve that problem. 1: is pup covers.:ROTF: :ROTF: And 2: Rail pickups.

I like your second suggestion Sounds like a good excuse to buy something else!
                  E = Fb

Comment

This is why buying pickups becomes overly complicated.... there is "F" spaced.... Duncan "humbucker" and "trembucker", Dimarzio has... is it "Bridge" and "Neck" spacing?-- I forgot... I know they got spacing classes too....

Comment

Carvin has the right idea...put two poles per string. One of them is bound to be close!
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, but that's so inelegant, Mark! This is why I slapped a L500XL in the Rand. Rails solve the problem neatly.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                        X