No announcement yet.

Help Me Choose Some Humbuckers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you still get the old Jackson pickups made?

I have a set of J-90's in a soloist with a JE-1200 circuit, sounds great with distortion, really agressive. Then the pickup selector allows me to select the outer or inner coils of the humbuckers so I can get a really nice single coil sound for playing clean blues etc.

Comment

Great question on Jackson pickups. I haven't seen any in new guitars -- only the Seyomour Duncans.

Comment

Whatever you choose, don't ruin your guitar with EMG's, please.

Given the choice of woods, which is also my preferred choice tonewise, I'd go with SD Custom 5 for the bridge, and SD Jazz for the neck.

If you want a more aggressive, brighter bridge tone you also can't really go wrong with a SD JB.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak
          Whatever you choose, don't ruin your guitar with EMG's, please.

Given the choice of woods, which is also my preferred choice tonewise, I'd go with SD Custom 5 for the bridge, and SD Jazz for the neck.

If you want a more aggressive, brighter bridge tone you also can't really go wrong with a SD JB.
          Why would EMGs ruin it? And as far as the JB, that thing is highly overrated... it's all treble and high mids, lacking bass. Blech!!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tone Zone for bridge.
            Air Norton or The Breed for neck.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
              Why would EMGs ruin it? And as far as the JB, that thing is highly overrated... it's all treble and high mids, lacking bass. Blech!!
              Because in my experience they work well exclusively in full blast high gain mode. They are by design "toneless", I've had EMG's on guitars that had very different construction/wood type/scale/hardware features, and they all sounded exactly the same.

I partly agree with you on the JB, in a "bedroom" situation it does sound harsh. In a band situation however, that's what makes it cut through the mix.

Comment

They're not toneless. If they were, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the warmer 85 with an alnico magnet and the brighter 81 with a ceramic magnet. They do sound different in every guitar due to the woods... they're just more consistent in their tone.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

1. EMG 81/85
                  2. SD's Distortion/Jazz
                  3. Dimarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton
                  are my 3 choices

Comment

Another EMG vote here. 81 in the bridge, 89 in the neck. Best of all worlds.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by stgabriel
                      How about this...

Neck: Dimarzio PAF Pro DP151
                      Bridge: Dimarzio Super 3 DP152
                      I like those choices, except I'd go with the PAF instead of PAF Pro. IMHO, the EQ of the Pro-version is too flat across the board. The Pro sounded like an EMG (i.e, crap) in my GMP. :P

Comment

Duncan Distortion/Jazz

or

Custom/Jazz
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                        X