Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Custom or Dimarzio Super Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a Custom in my Sunburst NASL and a Custom Custom in my black NASL (both mahogany neckthrough/mahogany body - sunburst has a maple cap) and greatly prefer the Custom over the CC.

Both have slightly different sounds, though it is noticeable. The CC sounds a bit more low-middy than the Custom, to me.

As well, a Custom sounds great in the neck (bridge version - haven't tried a neck version, if there even is such a thing).

I had a SuperD and did not like it. I also had two Evos in a USA SLS and didn't really care for the tone from either one. They sounded kinda flat to me.

Of course you do have to keep in mind that individual player tone as well as amp choice/settings will be very large factors in the sound you get. I run rack stuff exclusively (ADA MP-1 with external EQ) and Duncans are highly workable in that environment for me, but I just couldn't get a sound I liked out of DiMzo's
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
      Of course you do have to keep in mind that individual player tone as well as amp choice/settings will be very large factors in the sound you get.
      That's why I'm not sure if asking people about which pickups to use ever really works, and you might stear away from a great sounding pickup.

Trial and error with your axe and your rig is the only true way to find out what works. Also important is what tone are you trying to get? If I'm trying to sound like any of the Iron Maiden boys, an EMG81 ain't gonna cut it. Just the opposite for (newer) Priest or (older) Metallica.

People say they hate the Duncan Designed HB102B in older DK-2's, but in my rig I get a great tone out of mine. No need to mess with it.

Comment

Buy em both.. from Musicians Friend, or AMS. Pay by cc. Both have a 45 day return policy. Plus Dimarzio has a 30 day exchange program. You can return the SD to Dimarzio in 30 days if you don't like it or return it to MF or AMS within 45 days to get a refund.

Both are great pickups IMO.. I think the Custom is more alive in mahogany. The SD would be good for more top end woods like maple.

Comment

Thanks for the reply people! I think i might get both as i need another pickup for my Epiphone Fly V have forgot about that also ... trial and Error here we go

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
            When you say you fav of the two, you are talking Super D vs. Custom, right? Just wondering, because you start talking about the Duncan Distortion.

DD Muddy? Throw it into a Maple body like George Lynch did.
            I'm sorry, you're right, I didn't mean to say Duncan Distortion, I meant Custom. It was a typo! Too many "distortions" on the mind.
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

I've always loved the DiMarzio Super Distortion or an X2N in the bridge... with a Super 2 in the neck, of course! Though, if the guitar is too bright, a Super 3 will work better in the bridge than the Super D, and the Super 2 would be even brighter in the bridge than the Super D!
              As far as the Duncan Custon, I do have one in my Schecter, but it's the 7-string version... sounds pretty good to me.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
                Buy em both.. from Musicians Friend, or AMS. Pay by cc. Both have a 45 day return policy. Plus Dimarzio has a 30 day exchange program. You can return the SD to Dimarzio in 30 days if you don't like it or return it to MF or AMS within 45 days to get a refund.

Both are great pickups IMO.. I think the Custom is more alive in mahogany. The SD would be good for more top end woods like maple.
                Are you sure about AMS and Musician's Friend? The AMS website has a "Non-Returnable" clicky on their pickup product pages. I'm pretty sure I've read in their both of their catalogs that pickups are either entirely non-returnable or returnable only if they haven't been installed.

Comment

No.. I was not sure about AMS, they used to have a similar policy to MF but that may have changed over the course of the years since I have not bought anything from them in about 5 years. Seeing the website, you are correct about AMS not taking back pickups after opening.

MF.. looks like the still take returns. However, you can still exchange with Dimarzio.

This is the policy from MF:

"45-Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

If you are not completely satisfied with any product, return it for a full refund of the product purchase price, full credit, or exchange of your choice. We give you 45 days from the shipping date. That's the best guarantee in the music industry.

Musician’s Friend only accepts returns made within the first 45 days from shipment.

Should you find it necessary to return any merchandise, it must be shipped within this 45-day guarantee period. Please follow the return instructions printed on the back of your invoice. All returned items must include a Return Authorization Number, be in the original packaging complete with all components including the warranty card and owner’s manual and show no signs of wear or abuse; otherwise the return will either be refused or subject to a 15% restocking fee. Credit card returns are issued a credit for purchase price. Refunds are made for product value only, excluding shipping and handling charges.

Send your return to:

Musician's Friend
                  c/o Returns
                  1491 N Universal Ave
                  Kansas City, MO 64120

The following items are returnable only if defective OR unopened or unused: strings, reeds, tubes, earbuds, earplugs, recorders, tin whistles, flutophones, "world" wind instruments, harmonicas, raw-frame speakers, drumheads, drumsticks, turntable cartridges, fog fluid, clothing/footwear, body jewelry, cleaners, polishes, and polishing cloths. Software/soundware, cassettes, CDs, DVDs, and videos may be returned for credit only if they are in their original, sealed packaging. If defective, these items will only be exchanged for the same product.

Mouthpieces may be returned, but will incur a sterilization fee."

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                    duncan custom = best pickup on this planet and potentially others.
                    How would you compare it to the JB? I find the JB to be very articulate but the mid and high spikes are really harsh. I like the Tone Zone in my Solar much better.

Comment

Frankly now alot of people are praising about the D sonic ... at www.sevenstring.org

the D sonic people say is a tone zone with more BITE

now i am just mind fcuked

Comment

Working...
                      X