"The Key"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fett
    WTF!!!! I see how it works and it will do both ways.
    The only way I see it moving forward is if the saddle that's cut on the piece that moves the string locking bolt is bound on there by pressure. If you have tension on the string or tuned to pitch it will make it easy to move forward. Then you will have both ways. If the string is slack, you'll have to nudge it forward with your fingers. That's my engineering opinion based on looking at the pictures.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I think Allparts still sells them...

Comment

I've seen them on ebay. Scott at VWallGuitars also sells them... that's where I got mine from a few weeks ago.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i just found one on ebay for 19.95
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac
            I think Allparts still sells them...
            They do: Part No.: LT_0868-000
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Bengal-

I think the point of the "Key" is that you can adjust the saddle position with the string tuned to pitch (and therefore urging the saddle to move forward).

All-

Thanks for the heads up regarding Allparts!
              Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
                The only way I see it moving forward is if the saddle that's cut on the piece that moves the string locking bolt is bound on there by pressure. If you have tension on the string or tuned to pitch it will make it easy to move forward. Then you will have both ways. If the string is slack, you'll have to nudge it forward with your fingers. That's my engineering opinion based on looking at the pictures.
                As QR said, you have to leave the string tight. Though it does take some muscle to back the saddle up at full tension. You could always loosen the string just a bit, and guesstimate where it needs to move to. Or someone could improve the design to have an Allen nut on the end or a small nut like 1/4" so you can use a wrench.

Another good idea: find a Floyd that has been properly intonated and learn how to eyeball the same setup on another one. Makes fine-tuning the intonation a whole lot easier.

And the Key doesn't work on anything but OFR-type screws. Schallers and JT580-types can't take it.

One thing I did notice about the key - it shoves the saddle perfectly flat on the baseplate, which means your Fine Tuners may have to be set that way (all the way down).
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
                  And the Key doesn't work on anything but OFR-type screws. Schallers and JT580-types can't take it.
                  Correct, but there's two other models out there for Schaller and Ibanez trems.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X