No announcement yet.

Hi, Brass trem question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two Charvels from `83 with brass vintage trems and have always preferred them over other bridges. Without question they have a lot of chime and sustain - they're neither shrill nor dull. Very hard to say how they compare with steel since other brands with steel bridges just don't feel as solid in other factors (e.g. my PRS), so I wouldn't be able to A/B compare the effect of the brass bridge. But I believe the difference is a lot more subtle then choice of wood, strings, and even setup. I use 10-52 strings and 5 springs tightened all the way in the trem, and the trem flat on the body - and yes I do use my trem with this setup.

Both my Charvels are very clear, ringing sound top-end, mids, and bottoms, that I've always attributed to the rock solid feel they have. One is Alder with 3 singles that really chimes. The other is a maple body with rosewood board and Duncan `59 in the bridge and Vintage Staggers SSL-1's in the middle and neck - very rich harmonics out of this one, bright but not shill. I also built a Charvel parts tele thinline with a Charvel brass hardtail, semi-hollow mahogany body, 1/4" quilt maple top, rosewood board, and Dimarzio PAF and two FS-1's. The last one simply sings both unplugged and amp'ed - very rich, fat sound while also clear and ringing chime.

I'd say if you found the 25th Anniversary too bright, then maybe try a mahogany body. Music Zoo has their stratheads with both floyds and v-trems. You can ask them how they sound different when compared side-by-side.

For me one-piece neck, mahogany body, thick maple cap, v-trem, and the right pickup combination would be my choice for a custom shop order. But I'm shut off on new guitars so it's not going to happen for me for a few decades.

pfrischmann wrote
    ----------------------
    "Hi Guys,
    I'm new to the board. This place is great. BTW, I own an 88 soloist (original owner) and a New EVH.

I'm working on either getting a custom shop model built or possible doing the parts thing. I have a question about the traditional bridge. How does it offect the tone compared to a standard strat bridge?

I wonder if people stopped using brass for a reason. I had a 25th anniversary Charvel for a couple of days. I found the guitar overly bright and even shrill.
    I not a floyd fan (don't use trems much these days)

Can any body tell me how the bridges compare.

Thanks,
    Paul"
    ----------------

Comment

Paul (pfrischmann)

Mark at Music Zoo described the difference in sound between the brass v-trem and Floyd versions of their Mahogany Charvels as follows:

"The floyd version is a little less resonate than the NOS and when plugged in sounds a little more on the brighter side… other than that they both sound great and have plenty of sustain and body when plugged in."

You can't get any closer in comparing near identical guitars with just the bridge being different. Hopefully this answers your question. I'd have to add the MusicZoo ones are also very good prices for a strathead.

Comment

The Ibanez blades are replaceable. On one of mine (from an 89) they slide out easily, on others they'll need to be worked out. I dunno if they were MEANT to be replaced, but you can do it if you're careful.

I like the LOOK of brass. Especially antiqued brass. On a natural quilted body... yum. But I can do without the weight & wear.

Comment

Brass is a relatively soft metal. Great for tone, not so great from a durability perspective. That goes for all parts, not just trems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester700
            The Ibanez blades are replaceable. On one of mine (from an 89) they slide out easily, on others they'll need to be worked out. I dunno if they were MEANT to be replaced, but you can do it if you're careful.
            The blades on my 87 Edge trem are solid... no signs of them being removable at all. It would be nice if they could be replaced.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
              The blades on my 87 Edge trem are solid... no signs of them being removable at all. It would be nice if they could be replaced.
              They will come out but you might have to work at it for a bit. On my old UV77MC the would come out fairly easy. On my 550 i didnt think they would ever come out. If you cant get them out you can always file them. Rich has a great tutorial on how to do it. Here's the link http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm Rich also sells replacment knife edge sets

Comment

I have brass saddles on a vintage trem with a big brass sustain block and it gives the guitar a very smooth mellow tone not brittle at all.I did try it with steel saddles and it got a lot brighter so the brass went back on.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomous
                  They will come out but you might have to work at it for a bit. On my old UV77MC the would come out fairly easy. On my 550 i didnt think they would ever come out. If you cant get them out you can always file them. Rich has a great tutorial on how to do it. Here's the link http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm Rich also sells replacment knife edge sets
                  Thx for the link.
                  -Rick

Comment

Thanks Venemous I will bookmark that page!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X