No announcement yet.

elixir, are they worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't tried the elixir electric strings but will certainly vouche(sp?) for the acoustic ones. I used to use Takamine strings that I could get 3 packs for $10 at GC. But I would put a new set on, play for about an hour, and they would already be dirty. So 2 or 3 years ago I tried the elixirs and they last 6 months or more. They're expensive initially but you at least even out in cost, if not come out ahead in the long run, and you don't have to change strings so often, which is a real pain in the ass with an acoustic. But like I said, I haven't tried the electric ones yet so I can't comment on them.
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

You can't take our advice - they're a love/hate thing, and you need to try a set to see which camp you fall into. I love them - nanos on electric, polys on acoustic.

Yes, they're expensive and the polys grow "hair". They also sound different, and not as "sproingy" as a standard set when first strung up.

But they DO last longer, IMO. They sound like week-old strings when installed, and sound that way for a few months (for me).

There's less string squeak on the polys - I like that for acoustic (though I like the nanos for electric because I like that "character" there).

Comment

Originally posted by Jester700
        You can't take our advice - they're a love/hate thing, and you need to try a set to see which camp you fall into. I love them - nanos on electric, polys on acoustic.

Yes, they're expensive and the polys grow "hair". They also sound different, and not as "sproingy" as a standard set when first strung up.

But they DO last longer, IMO. They sound like week-old strings when installed, and sound that way for a few months (for me).

There's less string squeak on the polys - I like that for acoustic (though I like the nanos for electric because I like that "character" there).
        UPDATE,
        I got a pack of nano's 9-42 over a week ago nowq and wanted to play on em for a biut before posting a opinion and so far i like em a lot!
        I like that the plain strings are not all black like the EB's used to turn after 2 days
        feel wise they will take some getting used to but as long as the keep the fresher tone for longer i will be happy
        i was also told that the DR's uncoated are real good as well and i may try a pack
        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I switched to Elixir nano 10's on my acoustic and I'm sold. I'll never go back to regular acoustic strings. the tone is brighter, they feel great, and they last a longass time.

I just bought a set to put on my acoustic 12-string.

I've not tried the electric ones. I love my EB's too much.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I've found the Dean Markly Blue Steel strings last a long time in keeping crisp tone. And they are fairly inexpensive.

Comment

Elixir are great practice strings. I really don't like the tone though. If you have 2 guitars and could keep one for praticing and the other for jamming then I'd think about getting Elixir strings.

Comment

no, they are not worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by FSU_Seminoles
                  Elixir are great practice strings. I really don't like the tone though. If you have 2 guitars and could keep one for praticing and the other for jamming then I'd think about getting Elixir strings.
                  Practice yes! Playing shows regulary with em, NO!

Comment

I've used DR's a cpl times, and I agree theu last a long time! But they don't sound as sweet as Daddario's in my opinion! I go through about a set every 2 weeks or so! I'd rather keep the the sweet sound and change them every 2 weeks, than not to get that sound I want!!
                    I love admins!

Comment

I use Fender XLs. I boil them in water for about 15 minutes, then let them dry in the sun for a couple of hours before installing them. They work great like this.

Mike

p.s. That was a joke.
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

accustics, yes.
                        electrics, no.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have used them on my acoustics and my electrics and they do feel a little different but in a good way. I play Diadarrio XL's mosly but have the Elixers on my RG and they feel great and seem to hold up well. I don't notice a difference in sound.

Todd
                          Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
                            accustics, yes.
                            electrics, no.
                            +1
                            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Guess I'm the only guy around hgere that uses S.I.T.'s, hahaha...

ehh, they're made locally and sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal
                                Guess I'm the only guy around hgere that uses S.I.T.'s, hahaha...
                                I use it...

...when I get hemmorhoids. :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                                X