No announcement yet.

EMG 81 vs 85 in the bridge postion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i agree toejam, i don't like the 85 in the neck. i'd rather have dual 81's.

don't get me wrong, the 85 is a great bridge pup. it will do anything very well. but the 81 just has that "metal edge" to it that i prefer for the music i play. if you want a little less bite and a little more sizzle, then the 85 is what you want. if you want more bite and little less sizzle, 81 it up.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

81 bridge 60 neck is the best combo in my opinion.You get metal and clean . I had the 85 in neck and in bridge and didn't like it in either position.

Comment

I personally don't like the 81 at all - neither in the neck or the bridge. It just sounds too dull for me - dry like a bone! If you're after a mid-scooped sound, the 81 would probably be the way to go though.

The 85 has more mids and sounds good in both positions. Both pickups do well at high gain, but the 85 sounds a lot more open and ballsy, and will also do good classic heavy metal tones.

Comment

I'ld try the 89 as suggested by SGplayer for the neck or bridge the best choice for either.

Comment

delete
            Last edited by SGplayer; 06-24-2006, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGplayer
              Gives you two different EMG's 85 & SA single coil which screams with no noise also 18V setup also brings out the most.
              For a single hum that is 100% the best way to go.

Comment

My 2c - 81s better in darker sounding body woods, like the standard LP combo of maple and mahogany. It would probably sound shrill for some in brighter woods like alder. However, an 85 is good if you don't want the completely over the top gain/output overload that comes with the 81. Had one in the bridge of an old BC Rich Mockingbird (mahogany body), and it had sweet tight lows with a nice, grunty, fat PAF on steroids kinda vibe to it.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
                  However, an 85 is good if you don't want the completely over the top gain/output overload that comes with the 81.
                  [mythbuster]
                  Errr...the 81 is NOT a hotter pickup than the 85. On the paper, the 85 is actually slightly hotter. Sources: First hand experience and www.emginc.com.
                  [/mythbuster]

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
                    [mythbuster]
                    Errr...the 81 is NOT a hotter pickup than the 85. On the paper, the 85 is actually slightly hotter. Sources: First hand experience and www.emginc.com.
                    [/mythbuster]
                    [BusterOfTheMythbusters] http://emginc.com/text/faq.html#PQ2 [/BusterOfTheMythbusters]
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I once had an 81 in the bridge and 89 in neck and kind of liked it. even though the 81 IS trebly and dry. but I found it comfy to play.

and I'd +1 these people who recommend an 89 instead of an 85. it's not much more price-wise and the single coil option is a clear plus IMO.
                      the only disatvantage would be, that the 85 has quick connect, the 89 doesn't due to the coil-tap function.
                      so if you think about switching them around a lot, it might be not as easy as it would have been with an 85.
                      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

^ 89s have quick connect option too, but it's different and I think you can only put 89 on it's quick connect wire.

emg 89:

emg 81:

Comment

[Buster of the alleged Buster of Mythbuster]

Originally posted by NextInLine
                          [BusterOfTheMythbusters] http://emginc.com/text/faq.html#PQ2 [/BusterOfTheMythbusters]
                          That is what their brochures used to say. EMG has since changed their pickup descriptions:
                          http://emginc.com/displayproducts.as...=6&catalogid=2

[/Buster of the alleged Buster of Mythbuster]

Comment

I'm not a bib 81 fan either.I just put an 85 in my charver 88 and like it alot.it seems to be less sterile than the 81 and much fatter
                            www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
                              [mythbuster]
                              [/mythbuster]
                              On paper? Do we play our guitars through paper?

Well, whatever the website may say, and you may well be right.To me the 85 is warmer, fatter, more blues/rock oriented in its sound. The 81 is more like a distortion pickup, razor highs, tight low mids/bass etc. Thus, even if the 85 did have more "measurable" output, in my opinion the 81 still feels like a higher output pickup. Sources: First hand experience, on the fretboard, through an amp, not paper

Nah I am just joshing, if anyone wants to prove me wrong with ammetter readings or whatnot, feel free. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
                                On paper? Do we play our guitars through paper?

Well, whatever the website may say, and you may well be right.To me the 85 is warmer, fatter, more blues/rock oriented in its sound. The 81 is more like a distortion pickup, razor highs, tight low mids/bass etc. Thus, even if the 85 did have more "measurable" output, in my opinion the 81 still feels like a higher output pickup. Sources: First hand experience, on the fretboard, through an amp, not paper
                                Haha, good reply!
                                You're right, and I agree that the 85 is the more versatile pickup, and its higher output is hardly audible (thus the "paper" remark).

As for the 81, I think it suits hi-gain sounds so well because of its extreme tightness. It has a very "clean" sound with awesome string separation, despite being high output. I guess this helps in high gain situations, but it also makes it sound dry and uninspired at more moderate settings.

Comment

Working...
                                X