No announcement yet.

Another primer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude.I would rather inhale the paint than what you are going through on this board. They mean well, but you sure as hell rattled their cans.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
      That's not me and I see you only come to this forum seemly to attack people in this forum rather than suggest solutions and mostly appearing in the Q & A section. Acrylic lacquer can do a professional job. It was used by Fender and Gibson for years (all automotive colors offered) and it doesn't kill tone. In fact it is better for tone and the resulting finish is much thinner. The only reason factories are not using acrlylic lacquer any more is it's costly to production and it's not environmently friendly. Granted rattle can acrylic lacquer is a different formulation than bulk mixes of commercially available acrylic lacquers, but its' not far off.
      I've been doing custom cars, motorcycles and guitars now for 28 years, starting with Nitro, then acrylics, and Urethanes. Such products that I use are Dupont, PPG, RM, Sherwin Williams, and House of Kolor and a few rattle can jobs in between.

The other things about curing, stands and cases etc. are true. Acrylic lacquers do take a lot longer than the acrylic urethanes, which I guess your are saying "factory". Acrylic can look very good it just takes longer and some of the precautions you have to take with an instrument finished in Nitro you have to in Acrylic lacquers.
      On the contrary Bengal65, I come here and contribute quite often.
      Again, if that was not you who posted on Guitars101, I apologize.

But the facts remain.
      Spraypaint is better suited for lawn furniture, NOT guitars.
      If you in fact have 28 years experience, you should know this.
      I'm not a newbie who is discouraged from not being able to achieve good results with rattlecans. In fact, I have painted several guitars with rattlecans, and every one of them "looked" professional.

However, you can NOT judge a paintjob simply by how it looks the same day it's been buffed out. You need to take durability and longevity into consideration ESPECIALLY since these paintjobs are VERY time consuming.
      In your last posting, you still claim that you can achieve "professional" results, yet you confirm everything I am warning people about?????? It seems to reason that if everything I'm stating is true (which you were kind enough to confirm), than the fact is you can NOT achieve professional results.

A professionally finished guitar doesn't take a year to cure.
      A professionally finished guitar CAN be stored in a guitar case.
      A professionally finished guitar CAN be placed on a guitar stand.
      A professionally finished guitar doesn't carry 30+ coats of paint.
      A professionally finished guitar doesn't sound like a dead piece of wood.

My intent was NOT to "attack" anyone as you claim, but to point out the disadvantages to using spraypaint that YOU yourself knew about all along. So why would you continue to lead Crusher down the wrong path by still suggesting that he can achieve "professional" results with spraypaint.

If it's in an attempt to win some sort of argument that you have initiated with me, than EVERYONE looses ...

1) Me for not being able to make people aware of the disadvantages.
      2) Crusher for ending up with a shitty paintjob.
      3) And YOU for loosing all credibility with the people on this forum by misleading them with bad information.

*edit*
      Moderators, THIS would make for a good "sticky".
      Last edited by Model1VH2; 06-16-2006, 06:15 PM.

Comment

What is your definition of Professional? Maybe that needs to be asked. If it's Krylon in a can. Maybe no? Acrylic lacquers were applied by the major manufacturers for years with spray guns. If it's not the material being applied maybe the qualifications of the operator or the equipment. Some major manufacturers use Nitro still, most use the acrylic urethanes and polyesters.

Quote:
        My intent was NOT to "attack" anyone as you claim, but to point out the disadvantages to using spraypaint that YOU yourself knew about all along. So why would you continue to lead Crusher down the wrong path by still suggesting that he can achieve "professional" results with spraypaint.

This is what I said:
        Crusher,
        You are on the right track. Once the Reranch site is back, follow the Reranch 101. It's primarily for Nitrocellulose lacquers, but the "rattlecan" acrylic lacquers are very close in application and cure times. The 101 instructions are very good and you can achieve that professional look your are desiring.

I said "Professional look". If Reranch 101 is followed, you will get very good results. It is well written and covers the techniques of applying Rattle can Nitro, but can be applied to Duplicolor, Krylon or whatever.

All, I'm saying and I'm interpreting what Crusher is asking, and he mentioned the Reranch site, and if it's followed with the paint he is using (and I don't know what brand, assuming it's an acrylic lacquer) then he will have met his intended quality he wants in this paint job.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
          What is your definition of Professional? Maybe that needs to be asked. If it's Krylon in a can. Maybe no? Acrylic lacquers were applied by the major manufacturers for years with spray guns. If it's not the material being applied maybe the qualifications of the operator or the equipment. Some major manufacturers use Nitro still, most use the acrylic urethanes and polyesters.
          We're not talking about Nitro, urethanes, or polyester, or what major manufactures use or used to use, so please try to stay focused and stay on topic. We're discussing whether or not acrylic lacquer in a can is suitable for painting guitars and achieving "professional" results. I've stated my position and several reasons why. All of which you have confirmed yourself I might add.
          As far as I'm concerned, this portion of the discussion is closed.

You may continue to recommend spraypaint all you like.
          The results will speak for themselves and volumes for your credibility.

Crusher, good luck with your project.
          Last edited by Model1VH2; 06-16-2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Crusher,
            Just be professional about it and you will be OK
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Wow! This has turned into a real shitting match huh?
              Well here's my two pennies for what they're worth:
              Can you achieve a professional long lasting finish using only rattle cans??
              NO NO NO NO NO....and double NO!
              Can you make a guitar look decent using rattle cans??
              YES YES YES YES YES....and double YES!

So choose what you want to use, and make the best of it, but remember, the end result will only be as good as the quality of the materials, time, and workmanship you put into it.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

eh, fuck it. use a roller.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Don't knock rollers Sully, they work pretty good! ......Oh, you're still talking about paint huh.....

Comment

http://www.yikers.com/video_crazy_as...paint_art.html
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Man, when that vid first started, I thought "Where the Hell is this heading? This is stupid.".
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

That is too cool That guy needs to wear gloves

Comment

What was the sheeting he was applying, and pulling off? Looked like mylar, or something.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

That was awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                              Don't knock rollers Sully, they work pretty good! ......Oh, you're still talking about paint huh.....
                              oh hell, rollers are good for lotsa things! hair, paintin, all kindsa stuff! i wanna see someone wallpaper their guitar. or put in some stringers with chair rails! or even some wainscoating! :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                                What was the sheeting he was applying, and pulling off? Looked like mylar, or something.
                                No secret material here... just pages from a magazine.
                                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X