Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickups that enhance pinch harmonics........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam
    +1. More gain makes the harmonics jump out.
    I get easy pinch harmonics with Burstbuckers 1 & 2 (the Alnico II ones, not the Pros) on my LP (7.8K and 8.3K). I think it's more about the EQ. Bass heavy pickups seem to make it slightly more difficult.

Comment

Honestly, I've never played a guitar that could not get good sounding pinch harmonics. It's more about technique than anything.

-a

Comment

Originally posted by HoWheels
        Honestly, I've never played a guitar that could not get good sounding pinch harmonics. It's more about technique than anything.

-a

+1

i used to blame eq, gain, pickups but at the end.. it was me

when i went to a guitar lesson the teacher had a shitty 30w fender.. really bad distortion .. couldnt get any pinch harmonics.. i tell my teacher its the amp and he's like "no its you.. because if i take your guitar i'll be able to do these harmonics" and he did

gain, eq and hot pickups help but its technique that matters
        If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak
          +1

i used to blame eq, gain, pickups but at the end.. it was me

when i went to a guitar lesson the teacher had a shitty 30w fender.. really bad distortion .. couldnt get any pinch harmonics.. i tell my teacher its the amp and he's like "no its you.. because if i take your guitar i'll be able to do these harmonics" and he did

gain, eq and hot pickups help but its technique that matters
          Ok, lets say that since "harmonics" by design hit the higher frequencies, they come across better with a high pass EQ'd rig. I can tell the difference with some amps and guitars, and my technique for pinch harmonics is the same on any.

Comment

Dimarzio ToneZone along with good technique.

Comment

Pickups matter a lot. Granted, technique is essential, but you will not produce Zakk Wylde squeals with "Vintage Granddad Specials". Period.

All you really need, is a fairly hot, high quality pickup at the bridge. And yes, it is a lot more difficult to get them from the neck pickup position - and that is regardless of any pickup you have in that position.

Comment

Couldn't have said it any better.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I come from the technique school of thought here. I practice often w/o an amp, I can do all the pinch harmonic w/o a problem. I agree that any mid to high output pickup through a decent amp will work finr. I think bridge height has more to do with it than pick-ups do in my opinion...but none of thta matters...if something works better for you or makes you believe its better for you...its better
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I thought the thrashy sound of my JBs was alright. I hated the pinch harmonics of it though.

EMGs for life.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Most decent pick ups will work. You don't need anything special. Look at all of the pups the guys here have mentioned.

Gain is needed also on the amp as mentioned.

Technique I would rate as the most important element as others here have said. In one of my guitars I have a Duncan Custom TB-5 in the bridge and a '59 in the neck and I can get harmonics from the '59 with no problem.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Well I don't know if this is relevant: If I pinch say, 1cm from the neck pickup whilst the selector is switched to bridge position, I can get a good pinched harmonic. If I pinch closer to the bridge pickup, the harmonic is not possible. A pinched harmonic is possible when the selector is switched to neck position but sounds very weak. Is this because of the way the pickups are wired or something else? I have a WRMG with EMG-HZ's. The same happens with my DX10DFS with Duncan Designed pickups. But I find it easier to get pinched harmonics out of my DX10 and I assume this is because the action is so low and has a thinner neck. Or is my technique just crap? Be honest now
                        Last edited by wilkinsi; 06-06-2006, 03:59 PM.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

There are several spots that you can hit for pinch harmonics. The spot that is 1 cm from the neck p-u is an easy one. Then as you move closer to the bridge, they get higher in pitch and weaker in volume. I would attribute your problems making them to the crappy pups, to be honest (never been a fan of either HZs or DDs).

The neck pickup just doesn't pick up really high overtones as well as the bridge pickup. It's because of its position further down the strings. I've noticed that I get a little stronger pinch harmonics out of the neck pickup on a 24 fretter, than on a 22 fretter. But again, a crappy pup will also be a big limiter here.

As for your technique, who am I to tell? I've never seen you play.

Comment

the dimarzio EVO has the best most pronounced ones i ever heard!
                            when it was designed it was made to get harmonics that other buckers dont have

from the site,

The neck pickup is fat, punchy and loud. The bridge pickup is tight, aggressive and louder. Both pickups have our patented dual-resonance configuration to reproduce more harmonic overtones than conventional humbuckers. Evolution® pickups are not polite-sounding, and they're not for the inexperienced, but-if you've got the chops and a hot amp-your sound will burn.
                            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by jtr
                              Any pickup will work, it's more a technique then equipment.
                              Exactly, end of thread now.
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
                                There are several spots that you can hit for pinch harmonics. The spot that is 1 cm from the neck p-u is an easy one. Then as you move closer to the bridge, they get higher in pitch and weaker in volume. I would attribute your problems making them to the crappy pups, to be honest (never been a fan of either HZs or DDs).

The neck pickup just doesn't pick up really high overtones as well as the bridge pickup. It's because of its position further down the strings. I've noticed that I get a little stronger pinch harmonics out of the neck pickup on a 24 fretter, than on a 22 fretter. But again, a crappy pup will also be a big limiter here.

As for your technique, who am I to tell? I've never seen you play.

i usually go 1 cm from the neck.. but it depends which fret..
                                i dont know about the rest of you.. but for me atleast.. there's a sweet spot for every fret

to get nice harmonics on the thick strings i have to pick right on top of the middle pickup
                                If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X