No announcement yet.

frets popping up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's simple...your house is too dry. the wood is shrinking/drying out and the frets will then pop up or poke out. i read this all the time on forums since people subject guitars to poor climates and think they can take it. it's just wood, it moves when temp and humidity change. get yourself a humidifier for the room your guitars are in and set it to stay at 50% humidity. you'll never have this problem again, your frets won't poke out in the real dry months on oiled maple necks (or any necks) and you will have to adjust truss rods much much less often. since i put a humidifier in my den and bedroom where most of my guitars are i haven't had a single fret problem and the guitars stay in tune in the cases over long periods of time. before i got the humidifier i would have problems with frets poking out on oiled necks and the necks moving a bit due to drying out too much.

it's too far gone to just humidify now but, have it fixed and get a humidifier. if you fix it and don't get a humidifier it will just happen again down the road and you'll be paying the tech more than a humidifier costs to fix it again.

if you keep the humidity between 45-50% in the room with the guitars you'll be set and have much better playing guitars that need less tweaking and have less buzz and dead spots. trust me, i've seen some real high dollar custom shop guitars from many brands that have been treated poorly that play worse than a squier strat with rusty strings!

oh and don't worry about taking them out for gigs and such, it will take like ~12+ hours for any bad things to slowly start happen when they are moved from a perfect environment to a more dry not so good one.

you can try and save it now by oiling the board (be generous with the oil) and getting the humidifier. it may work, or it may need some fret work. it's hard to tell since all guitars react different.

-Mike
    Last edited by XSSIVE; 05-25-2006, 04:35 PM.
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Mike
      it just got here from alaska yesterday

but thank you for the tips... the more you GAS the less real playing time any one guitar gets ...that being said ,your dead on about keeping them in a proper enviroment
      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Just buy a guitar that is 20 years old. "Been there. Done that. And my frets ain't popping. And my neck ain't warped. My pots may be a little scratchy but that's OK. My body may be a little rough but I still have the tone. A face lift may be in order. But if I lasted this long, it's worth it. And I can be had on the cheap."
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
        X