raising the action from the nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surfdork
    And don't be tweakin it too much at first...maybe a 1/4 turn. Then let it settle in.
    And don't forget the "let it settle in" part. You may also want to mark the rod so you'll know how far you've actually turned it, particularly if you wind up making a few small adjustments.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

A smart way to check the neck to see how much bow it has, is to use the strings as a straight edge. Fretting the 1st fret with a capo (or a finger) and fretting the last fret with a finger, looking at around the 7-12th fret, you'll now see how much relief you've got.

(pssst... here's a photo)
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I had some shims on my RR pro. The strings were so low on the nut that they ate upper frets. Relief couldn´t fix that.

But as it was said earlier, try adjusting the truss rod first. Good luck, it´s not that scary
        Cheers

Comment

not sure if it's been mentioned already but if the strings don't buzz when they're open, it's not a nut issue. fret buzz between frets 1-5 is usually a backbowing issue. give the truss rod a little bit of slack and that should fix you right up. and don't forget to lower your floyd again!

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sounds like loosening up the truss is the way to go. And I'll definitely be lowering that floyd again!!! Thanks for all the input!

Okay, so after I adjust the rod, should I let the neck settle 'out of the case' or 'locked in the case' . . . or does it really not matter? I would imagine 'out of the case' would be best . . . but I hate leaving my guitars out of their cases when they're not being played. What would you guys suggest?

Comment

doesn't really matter.I put mine in cases when not in use even if I'm waiting for a neck to settle.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I layer a couple stickers on to eachother for this (usually 5-7 vinyl)

Comment

Working...
                X