No announcement yet.

Safest way to take guitars on a plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've carried Charvel prototypes in hardshell cases on Southwest. The case fit in the overhead bins and I picked off peak days/times for the flights. I was going back and forth between Phoenix and Burbank or Phoenix and Ontario, both routes that I fly fairly often, so I'm a familiar face. That helped too.

I did get flack from the TSA people about the tremolo arms....go figure!

For longer trips, etc, two words: Road Case. The money spent on one of those is well worth it. And detune the guitar for sure. Anything that lowers the risk of damage is a smart move.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
      Yea, I remember my '76 Fender Precision Bass getting splintered on a United Airlines flight from San Jose, CA to Pittsburgh, PA. When I arrived at the terminal, then onto baggage claim, I was taken directly over to the claims department and saw what was left of my case and bass. A pile of wood and tolex covering was laying on a cart. Looks like they ran it over with a fork lift or bounced out of the luggage compartment and run over by one of those little trucks. I did get them to pay for it though.
      Well, there's your FIRST mistake: You came to Pittsburgh! It sucks here, and clearly upon discovering where exactly it was AT, your bass self-destructed. I would, too, but I'm aclimated to the suckiness, here.

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Hmmm...I never really thought it would be an issue, but I guess since 9/11...

I was going to possibly buy a guitar during my trip to Las Vegas in the fall, and bring it home in the overhead compartment. I guess I should call the airline and ask what their policy is?
        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

That would be a good idea.

Those counter-agents like to make up thier own rules.
          Mayeb they make commissions on extra bags or something.
          Who knows.

Comment

Definitely overhead bid in a gog bag. I've done it many times. At least a couple times a year.
            That way you are the only one that touches it. Don't worry it will fit.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster
              overhead bid in a gog bag.
              What's an overhead bid? And what's a gog bag?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I went to Europe and back with a RR in an ATA case. No problems (other than carrying the damn thing) at all.
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster
                  Definitely overhead bid in a gog bag. I've done it many times. At least a couple times a year.
                  That way you are the only one that touches it. Don't worry it will fit.
                  I would be concerned with the other passengers moving it around and violently stuffing their own sh*t on top of and against it. I see that crap every time I fly. Gig bag?
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I decided to buy some SKB cases for them. They're a little harder to wreck than a wooden case. (I ran over one with my car once, and it was fine. Long story...) Plus I'll pack 'em up with bubble wrap etc like I'm packing them for shipping. I hope I don't get any weird temperture changes though, one of them is a hollowbody Gretsch.

Comment

Originally posted by Subvamp
                      I hope I don't get any weird temperture changes though, one of them is a hollowbody Gretsch.
                      I'm not sure what the difference between this and someone Fedexing a guitar overnight to you would be. In both cases they go in the cargo hold.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I flew to St. Louis and back with my PC3 in an SKB case... good thing I put it in there. They made me check it in.
                        The flight out was good, but when I got home, they had dropped it so hard that two of the feet were pushed into the case.
                        Guitar survived intact though, so all is good.
                        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                          I would be concerned with the other passengers moving it around and violently stuffing their own sh*t on top of and against it. I see that crap every time I fly. Gig bag?
                          Yep. Business travelers take those 22" roller bags and just slam them up in the overhead bins. When space starts to get tight, a soft sided bag of any sort becomes a license to try to wedge your roller bag in there.

Be careful with that!!

As I mentioned earlier, choosing off peak flight times is best. It depends on where you are flying to and from - with airlines cutting back on the number of flights per day, the planes seem to be packed almost all the time.

Molded cases like the SKB are safer then a wooden case like a G&G. They absorb and safely distribute impact much better than wooden cases. I know a few guys who have driven over them and the guitar survived unscathed.

The luggage compartment is generally not heated and it's cold at 30,000 ft.

Again, road cases are your best option.

Another thought would be SKB keyboard cases. You can get these that will fit over your regular hardshell case. Then you would have 2 layers of protection.

Good luck!!

Comment

I've only ever flown a (bass) guitar once. I told those morons to put it in the FRAGILE compartment because the bass was only in a gig bag. No, dicksplat put it with all the heavy suitcases. I didn't find out until I saw it on the conveyor belt, and stupid stooooooopid me, didn't inspect it until I got home. Tuners smashed off and serious chips to the body. It was a BCR Warlock bass so I don't care now, but I'm sure as hell not flying again, not that I can anymore anyway. Hell, I won't even put one on a coach. I've seen the way these "conductors" load them in.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I´ve always been able to stash my axes in the overhead bin so far.... usa -> europe for the most part...

Comment

Ok, topic hijack but since it has been mentioned two times already:

How did you (Subvamp) and the guys you know (John Walker) manage to drive over their guitar cases???

I want the whole story!
                                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                                X