Boiling Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outlander
    When a set of strings cost you from $30.00 to $180.00 a set...
    Hold on, hold on, hold on.... $180 FOR BASS STRINGS?!?!?!?!

Ive seen bass strings at like £50 but thats ridiculous...

James

Comment

I knew VH did it, or used to. I can understand the need to tho. If he's replacing them every night he'd want the stretch out of em

Comment

Originally posted by shredhed
        I knew VH did it, or used to. I can understand the need to tho. If he's replacing them every night he'd want the stretch out of em
        When you put new strings on, tune up to pitch, you just bend the strings a bit, yank them up off the board a couple times, retune, repeat the bending/stretching process a couple times until you don't go out of tune. It really doesn't take all that long.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
          When you put new strings on, tune up to pitch, you just bend the strings a bit, yank them up off the board a couple times, retune, repeat the bending/stretching process a couple times until you don't go out of tune. It really doesn't take all that long.
          Agreed....

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
            That's what I do and it works great. Except I gradually but firmly and slowly pull up on the strings cause I've busted a few new ones by yanking too agresivaly. (sp.)
            I would imagine Eddy needs all the stretch out especially the way he works that trem bar.

Comment

funny....i met floyd at namm a few years ago and he gave me a speedloader demo. he mentioned the importance of not overstretching your strings.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Bass players are the ones that generally do this. In the past I have known several bass players that would boil their strings twice before replacing them.
                My bass-player friend used to do this in high school, and I be damned to say it worked! He'd also throw a little vinegar in the water which he picked up from someone...EVH? who knows.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I don't stretch my strings at all. I believe it shortens the life of them. I put them on, tune up and lock them down. No problems at all.

When they start to get a little dirty I use a cleaner I made that is 50/50 WD40 and rubbing alcohol. Just pour a little onto a cleaning cloth and wipe the strings down real good. Works great. It cleans dirt, beer and rust off and gives the strings a little more life.
                  Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by St.James
                    I don't stretch my strings at all. I believe it shortens the life of them. I put them on, tune up and lock them down. No problems at all.
                    And how often do you have to unlock the nut and retune after using the Floyd? They're going to stretch no matter what... might as well do it before locking the nut down so you won't have to retune.

Comment

That's really not the problem you may think it is. I'm not saying it doesn't eventually go out of tune, but when it does I can usually use the fine tuners as it's not that bad.

Nornally after playing it a few times, I'll put it back on the bench and retune it, but it's really not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by St.James

When they start to get a little dirty I use a cleaner I made that is 50/50 WD40 and rubbing alcohol. Just pour a little onto a cleaning cloth and wipe the strings down real good. Works great. It cleans dirt, beer and rust off and gives the strings a little more life.
                        WOW!! I'd be pretty hesitant about getting any WD40(dirt,grease magnet and sealer) or rubbing alcohol (drying agent) near any fretboard.....So how does your fingerboard look?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II
                          My bass-player friend used to do this in high school, and I be damned to say it worked! He'd also throw a little vinegar in the water which he picked up from someone...EVH? who knows.
                          Yes a little vinegar works great.Vinegar is a neutralizer and helps break down the grease and corrosion from our fingers. Also excellant for removing hard water spots from glass.

Comment

WOW!! I'd be pretty hesitant about getting any WD40(dirt,grease magnet and sealer) or rubbing alcohol (drying agent) near any fretboard.....So how does your fingerboard look?
                            Nah, WD40 will be fine on the strings and board. Rubbing alcohol will dry it out a little, though. The best bet would be just to use some lemon oil.

Comment

Well, you don't saturate the cloth or the strings, you just wipe them down as you would any other string cleaner. Note that I did say wipe the strings down and not the fretboard.

My fretboards are all tip top.

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                                funny....i met floyd at namm a few years ago and he gave me a speedloader demo.
                                Me 2!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X