Pot problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot problem?

So, I have a band new import, and the sound cuts down as I'm rolling down the volume. It has to be a pot, right? This is a cheapo JS30, brand new, so I'm surprised the pot went. Still, how hard is it to replace a pot? Timewise, how long does it take, especially if you haven't done it before?

Depends how fast you workJ/K.Its not hard at all just take your time and remember where the wires go.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I thought you were gonna say you smoke too much.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Its easy to replace. Try cleaning it first. Get some contact cleaner and spray it into the pot. There should be a little opening to shoot the cleaner into. After you give it a quick spray turn the knob several times and see if that clears it up.

Comment

Meh, it's a JS30...hardware is a weak point...I say go ahead & replace it and be done with it...do the switch too.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Go to rsguitarworks.net and check out their pot upgrade kits.Very high quality stuff,easy to install and the tone is outstanding.You'll have the best sounding JS30 around.
            I had one of the first Jap JS30s several years ago installed an rs kit put in a set of Duncans and the guitar came alive.Really nice guitars IMO
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks. All great suggestions. If I have to dig in there at all, I may just upgrade the dang thing.

Comment

I'm no authority on Jacksons as I recently purchased my first one and more recently ordered another. But as a long time "buy em cheap with a decent body and solid neck 'cause I'm gonna gut it anyway" guitar enthusiast, I recommend replacement with higher quality parts. It's relatively inexpensive to replace any or all of the wired parts. And there are a multitude of online resources with wiring diagrams, etc., to guide you, including this forum. It's not rocket science for sure. If I can do it almost anyone can. When you're done you will be more than glad you did. Your ears will thank you for the tone enhancement.

On the JS30... I've played a few. They do cry "upgrade me." But there is not a damn thing wrong with them as an inexpensive foundation for a respectible performer. I know a few pretty fair guitarists who have done the same and tote these as their backups, use them for exeprimentation (guinnie pig rig), or to use for preservation of their more expensive pride 'n joy axes. To my knowledge , none have dogged the JS30 after some basic upgrades.
                In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler
                  I thought you were gonna say you smoke too much.
                  +1,Ha-Ha

Comment

Here's my "3-way switch don't work" story. So I buy a Dk-whatever that has EMG's 81-85 on E-Bay. Well, I get the 'tar and the switch doesn't work. In my mild mannered tone I tell the guy it don't work. The 'tar sat in my livingroom for months 'cus it wouldn't work. Well, I sprayed some tuner cleaner it and slid that lever back and forth better than my weiner, and sure as shootin' the pups now go 1 or 2 or 1-2. It was orgasmic to hear what it should sound like. The moral of the story is: "Don't give up .And if you fix it, give yourself a hand. "
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I get the same problem with the used DX10DFS I just bought. The pots are not on level, one is angled, the other just comes off dead easy. I'd recommend take them off, clean them, clean the guitar, then re-fit properly, tightening the screws so that they're smooth enough to turn without falling off or eating into the body's finish. I do this with every guitar I buy. Having said that, I'd be prudent to check the wiring inside the control cavity too. Maybe I just don't trust enough my local retailer (and I have good reason not to).
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                      X