slab of ebony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slab of ebony

It appears that my SD RR1 has a thicker slab of ebony on it! Or at least it looks thicker? I need Calipers! Anyone find the same true with theirs?
    I love admins!

Depends... Thicker Compared to.....?

Comment

I remember reading an old review of a Rhoads Custom from the mid 80s on Bret's old site and something the reviewer pointed out was that the fretboard on the guitar was a real thick slab of ebony. He liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
        Depends... Thicker Compared to.....?
        Well thicker than my 97 sl1!
        I love admins!

Comment

aren't both fretboards bound?
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ya they are, but it seems thicker on my SD RR1! And no it's not cuz I sanded the neck too far, before you ask! Lol, I still haven't started that yet! I need to buy my some calipers!!
            I love admins!

Comment

well, riddle me this...

if both boards are bound, and the necks are painted, how can you tell how thick the board is? is the binding on one taller than the other? i'd assume they rout the channels to the same depth, but i'm kinda thinkin out loud.

that's not to say that you don't have a thicker slab of ebony, but i'd think that it'd be pretty hard to tell with the guitars that you're using.

and leave that neck alone!
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

heh...and to give you a little more shit, there's still no such thing as an SD RR1.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                  well, riddle me this...

if both boards are bound, and the necks are painted, how can you tell how thick the board is? is the binding on one taller than the other? i'd assume they rout the channels to the same depth, but i'm kinda thinkin out loud.

that's not to say that you don't have a thicker slab of ebony, but i'd think that it'd be pretty hard to tell with the guitars that you're using.

and leave that neck alone!
                  +1, it´s pretty common for a binding channel to go into the neck wood, helps ensure that you don´t have an ugly dark streak from the joint next to the binding

Comment

heh...and to give you a little more shit, there's still no such thing as an SD RR1.
                    Heh, good catch.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                      +1, it´s pretty common for a binding channel to go into the neck wood, helps ensure that you don´t have an ugly dark streak from the joint next to the binding
                      you mean a little fretboard still under the binding channel? not following what you're describing.
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Most high quality guitar fretboards start out at 1/4" thick. They should stay very close to that, but with a little variation due to radius, finish sanding.

If the board is bound, there is no way of knowing how thick it is, unless you pull a fret, drill a hole through the board at the fret slot (which will be covered by a new fret) to measure.

Binding channels *should* be a standard depth, but there is still some room for variation due to final fretboard sanding- besides the possibility of channel depth irregularities.

In other words, if the board is bound, *YOUR SMOKING CRACK!* unless you prove to us otherwise. (yeah, ballysy for as few posts as I have... but seriously- you gotta SEE the bottom of the fretboard to know how thick it is.)

Postal!

Comment

you mean a little fretboard still under the binding channel? not following what you're describing.
                            Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Postal
                              Most high quality guitar fretboards start out at 1/4" thick. They should stay very close to that, but with a little variation due to radius, finish sanding.

If the board is bound, there is no way of knowing how thick it is, unless you pull a fret, drill a hole through the board at the fret slot (which will be covered by a new fret) to measure.

Binding channels *should* be a standard depth, but there is still some room for variation due to final fretboard sanding- besides the possibility of channel depth irregularities.

In other words, if the board is bound, *YOUR SMOKING CRACK!* unless you prove to us otherwise. (yeah, ballysy for as few posts as I have... but seriously- you gotta SEE the bottom of the fretboard to know how thick it is.)

Postal!

Alright, I'll agree with that! But if you look at the end of the fretboard right under where the stamped serial number is, you can get a good look at how thick the bound area is! That's why I'm saying the Ebony is thicker, cuz it seems to run over onto the guitar itself right above the neck pickup! I assume that all the meat that's on top of the guitar is ebony? I noticed that it seemed thick along the neck as well! Now as far a to say that it/they were routed deeper and not a thicker slab of ebony? Your right, I wouldn't know unless I butcher thing! Just more curious about its construction!
                              I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                              X