Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For anyone considering D-Tuna (Pics incl)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunbane
    Maybe you could just put a piece of self-adhesive felt cloth to the trem block? Y'know, where it meets the stop screw?
    Or, just get some of the loop side of some velcro. It's thicker than felt, so I would think it would do a better job of cushioning the impact, AND it already adhesive-backed.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Unfortunately those materials just get flattened out pretty quickly....been there

leather is probably the best but also flattens out eventually.
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

No big deal. that's when you just re-adjust your setting on the trem stop.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68
          and that's great, for you.

I was just giving some of the others who might think about installing one of these, some food for thought.
          I'd have to say I agree with you and would strongly advise caution if you entertain the thought of using the trem stop. I played with it when I got home from work tonight, with Budman's comments in mind...and with more than a casual smooth dive-bomb there is an audible clicking sound when the tremolo reaches zero.

I hadn't noticed before because I have only played it since installed with the amp volume up and the metal contact was drowned out...plus, I really only use the trem for an occasional dive-bomb or harmonic vibrato. With the amp volume off the clicking is very apparent.

Light contact doesn't seem to translate to the pickup but if you had your volume blasting loud and the bar slipped....there would be an unholy banging sound for sure which would not be very musical indeed...probably even terrifying. Keep in mind, I haven't had this thing installed but for a few days so I don't claim it to be road tested or gig approved.

It doesn't change my opionion about keeping the trem stop installed on my guitar...at least for now....because I don't use the trem much...just an occasional Van Halen song....but if you use your tremolo more than infrequently, you are probably not going to be happy with it.
          -Michael

Comment

Gees, it looks like you have a non-recessed trem. Why would you need to "block" it? It shouldn't flex back far enough to give you D-tuna any trouble. I'll had to block recessed trems but never had to do it with any others.

Comment

Originally posted by JCTommie
              Gees, it looks like you have a non-recessed trem. Why would you need to "block" it? It shouldn't flex back far enough to give you D-tuna any trouble. I'll had to block recessed trems but never had to do it with any others.
              Uh, I think you're overlooking the big picture. When using a D-tuna, if you want to keep the guitar in tune it is necessary to block the trem otherwise the strings will go out of tune when you engage or disengage the D-tuna.

Comment

BTW, the Tremol-No has got to be getting close to being available. I can see it and the D-tuna complimenting each other well.

Comment

Originally posted by JCTommie
                  It's still a floating trem whether it's recessed or not. For use with a D-Tuna, it will have to be blocked or flush onto the body.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Blocking the floyd so the strings don't go out of tune when using the d-tuna, doesn't make sense to me. I mean, it does but doesn't. I understand what everybody is saying, BUT, does the EVH Charvel series come stock with a trem block device or something simliar implemented? Did the wolfies too?
                    If yes, then I can understand the neccessity for it.
                    If not, then maybe we need to learn how to install the d-tuna correctly so we aren't dependant on a trem block for success.
                    You see what I'm saying?
                    This doesn't make sense to me.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

EVH's trems rest on the body so he can only divebomb.

Comment

Thats what I thought...
                        So the concern for a trem block is only for those that are adding a d-tuna to a floating/recessed floyd. A flush or top mounted floyd doesn't have this concern. Wouldn't it be somewhat difficult to add a d-tuna to a floating/ recessed floyd anyways? Wouldn't you have to do some cutting or some type of mod behind the low e string to allow for the d-tuna to be added?

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                          Wouldn't it be somewhat difficult to add a d-tuna to a floating/ recessed floyd anyways? Wouldn't you have to do some cutting or some type of mod behind the low e string to allow for the d-tuna to be added?
                          It does need some kind of modification if you're using a low-profile trem, but just blocking a regular recessed Floyd should be fine.
                          http://www.musicyo.com/planet/evh_dtuna.asp

Comment

Thanks...thats good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                              Thats what I thought...
                              So the concern for a trem block is only for those that are adding a d-tuna to a floating/recessed floyd. A flush or top mounted floyd doesn't have this concern. Wouldn't it be somewhat difficult to add a d-tuna to a floating/ recessed floyd anyways? Wouldn't you have to do some cutting or some type of mod behind the low e string to allow for the d-tuna to be added?
                              No, the concern can still be there, for non-recessed guitars, if the trem does not sit on the face of the guitar. It IS possible, that due to proper setup, the trem still sit slightly off the body, thus still requiring the need for a trem stop device.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

*nods* It cracks me up to see how people seem to think it's impossible to pull up with a non-recessed trem. Most of the time they're fully floating.

Comment

Working...
                                X