No announcement yet.

Paint work...am I im for greif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Mark and use the existing paintjob to your advantage.
    Of course, that's assuming the existing paintjob is in decent shape (no chips, deep scratches, ect.)
    If the existing paintjob IS all f'd up, I'd say strip it off and start fresh.
    The difference between a good paintjob and a great paintjob begins with proper body prep IMO.

Comment

Yes, I was making those assumptions, as well. If it's just a couple of minor nicks, you can always dropfill with superglue, prior to the refin.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by sully
        my best advice is to pay someone else to do it. you'll be much happier with the end result. which reminds me...mark, i gotta talk to you about a project!
        Give me a call any time brother. From what I've seen though, pretty soon I'll be asking YOU for advise!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by sully
          my best advice is to pay someone else to do it. you'll be much happier with the end result. which reminds me...mark, i gotta talk to you about a project!
          Heh, which is exactly what I'll be doing. Hi Mark.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
            Sorry, Dave-O, but I'd be more apt to follow MM's advise on this. Stripping would be an unnecessary task. Like the man said: "Let the original finish be your friend.".
            That's fine. Indeed it's not necessary, but your guitar will sound better.

Comment

I betcha most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I dunno man, some people here seem to have bionic ears!
                (that's not my own, I quoted it from Dave!)
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Mark Austin. A man, barely alive. We can rebuild him: We have the power. We have the technology..............And we have the Erector Set!
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-o
                    That's fine. Indeed it's not necessary, but your guitar will sound better.
                    That's the main reason why i stripped a Fernandes Rhoads completely from (thick!) paint before refinishing it.

It's now insane loud when played acoustically.
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                      Let the original finish be your friend, don't strip it.
                      I redid a Tele last summer, my first and so far only refinish (once you do one all the way through, you don't want to do another and I even cheated in a few areas) and I wish I had heard this advice back then. oh well. stripping it all the way down to the wood and then sanding, priming and painting and clearcoating from there was good experience I guess.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

kinda like how mowing the lawn when you're a kid "builds character?"
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yup, but this time it was self-inflicted.

I enjoyed doing it, really. but it can be frustrating.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                          X