fretboard cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doubleneck King V
    Naptha(Lighter fluid) *can* be used on a fingerboard-BUT it's not reccomended unless it's a maple board thats LOADED with layered crud,dirt and in severe dirty condition.
    I have to disagree 100%, I would NEVER use naphtha on a finished maple board because the Naphtha attacks nitrocellulose lacquer quite aggresively, and fretboard cleaning is not the time when I´d want to find out what the finish is... That said even soaking the board in naphtha won´t remove most played in gunk on an unfinished maple board, it´s there to stay at least until the next refret...

It strips off dirt (and) essential oils that can make the wood dry and weather prematurely.Its ethyl based chemicals(Lighter fluid were talking about) arent the best way to clean a fretboard of maple-let alone ebony or rosewood either.
    I´m curious, where did you hear this? Naphtha on rosewood and ebony is a time tested technique that´s been handed down for generations... "naphtha to loosen the crud, Steel wool to polish the frets and board, lemon or Bore oil to recondition the board."

Thats why you use the lemon oil AFTER the naphtha, to replace anything the naphtha may have additionally stripped out. I say "may" because you´re not supposed to throw the neck in a naphtha filled bathtub and let it sit for hours, but you´re supposed to apply naphtha to a rag and use a bit of elbow grease.

Best way to clean,condition and revive your fretboard:
    #0000 steel wool,and REAL lemon oil(Old English).
    oil up the dirty fretboard and gently scrub it with the #000 steel wool.Tape off the pickups BEFORE you start to rub the neck so the shavings and reside from the steel wool dont get on the magnetic pole pieces or the pickup covers.The steel wool and lemon oil are great at cleaning the board itself and the steel wool will polish the frets at the same time.
    When its clean,just wipe it off well and then rub the fretboard with a soft cotton cloth to finish clean it. .....Lemon oil and steel wool cleaning will make your fretboard last long,moisten it it naturally and make it smooth and comfortable with just regular play wear and finger/flesh contact.
    This I do agree with, though for the heavy crud that sometimes builds up with some players insufficient care of the instrument, you´ll want naphtha to loosen that before you go to town with with scrapers and steel wool...

DO NOT USE Fingerease(that slippery teflon based fretboard "lube").The teflon in it's chemical makeup will degrade and eventually dry out your ebony,rosewood or Pau Ferro fingerboard with nasty results after a long period of useage.
    Never used it, but I agree that anything Teflon or Silicon based should be kept away from wood surfaces....

Comment

zerb, that was vince that posted that. he's gone, so you won't get a reply from him.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
      X