What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? H/S/S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What pickups for maple fretboard guitar? H/S/

Thanks for the additonal responses guys! I do really feel that the fretboard wood had a tremendous impact on tone. I have an alder w/mapleneck rosewood board, and the difference is night and day. I have switch out 4 pickups in 4 days. The biggest thing I am noticing is that on the lower register single note stuff, the maple tone isn't and soft or spongey as the rosewood. Not that it's bad, but just different. I have a 500k po in there now, and there is a huge difference in volume between the middle and neck single coils compared to the bridge. I just may go back to the 250k to compare again. The other thing I noticed before yesterday is the someone at one point had a .022uf and a 1.0uf on the first 250k tone pot, and a .1uf on the second 250k tone pot. Thats what was contributing to some of the strange tone I was getting. I just switched those out with some sozo 0.022uf sozo's and it was like lifting a blanket off of the amp. So now, I am satisfied with the amound of highs, the gain and the mid crunch, and the noticeable difference is like i said about with the feel of the lowend, not the amount. This very well could just be the subtle diference between rosewood and maple boards.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Gibson typically used 500k pots in their guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]
      Doesn't Gibson use 300k?

[/ QUOTE ]
      300K volumes, 500K tones, I believe. The original LP's (1950s) were all 500K.

[/ QUOTE ]
      Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Actually some Les Pauls had 300K volume and 100K tone pots. Talk about dark!!!

As far as a pickup recommendation, if you lean more towards metal, how about a JB(as others have mentioned)? If you lean more towards rock/hard rock, how about a 59'?

Regarding the pots, I've got a project guitar similar to yours going on except mine has a vintage trem. I dug through my parts bin and found a pot that measures 400K and that's what I'm going to start with and see how it works. I think that should be a good compromise. But I've got two other HB/SC guitars and they both have 500K pots and that works fine. I don't think I'd want to go with a 250K pot with a humbucker, but my ears tend to prefer a brighter sound. Keep in mind that if you use a 500K volume and 500K tone.....with both on 10 that is similar to using a 250K volume by itself on 10.

Comment

Working...
        X