Difference Between a Duncan TB-4 and SH-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference Between a Duncan TB-4 and SH-4

I´ve had my fair share of JB´s, both SH4 and TB4... and I´ve liked most of them. For classic rock they´re my go-to pickups, and I always keep one guitar fitted with a JB. If I played proper metal I probably wouldn´t like it as much, though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I've struggled to get a good tone from a JB for years. At bedroom practice levels, it simply does NOT happen. However, at gigging volume, usually with the gain backed off and the mids boosted, I've had decent results. Same thing with the Screamin' Demon. In this case, it was in a basswood Dinky. At lower volumes, it does sound too harsh on the high end and palm mutes get muddy on the low E, but turning up the mids instead of cranking the distortion seems to get me a respectable thump on the low end.

The Full Shred seems like the better pickup for every purpose I can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my speech... the JB is not a "bedroom" pickup, but excels in a band situation where it´s upper mid spike really helps it shine though a thick mix. That´s one of the main reasons that many pros use it with great results but many ams feel it´s crap [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That said, I still prefer the Custom or Distortion for their tighter low end and more aggressive grind [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        I've struggled to get a good tone from a JB for years. At bedroom practice levels, it simply does NOT happen. However, at gigging volume, usually with the gain backed off and the mids boosted, I've had decent results. Same thing with the Screamin' Demon. In this case, it was in a basswood Dinky. At lower volumes, it does sound too harsh on the high end and palm mutes get muddy on the low E, but turning up the mids instead of cranking the distortion seems to get me a respectable thump on the low end.

The Full Shred seems like the better pickup for every purpose I can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my speech... the JB is not a "bedroom" pickup, but excels in a band situation where it´s upper mid spike really helps it shine though a thick mix. That´s one of the main reasons that many pros use it with great results but many ams feel it´s crap [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That said, I still prefer the Custom or Distortion for their tighter low end and more aggressive grind [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the 80's all I was using was the JB, and in 2 guitars I had the Duncan Distortion...what you said about cutting threw the mix because of the higher mid range is also true,....but I out grew the pick up and prefer the custom or custom custom.....If you llike the JB, You should also try out the Dimarzio tone zone..they are very similar I think the TZ is a more full sweeter pick up as the JB is more raunchy.

Comment

Working...
        X