Reversing Jackson j-80c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reversing Jackson j-80c

i just got my emg 85 and 60a and now have to find time to put them into my guitar
    1986 Model 5 with Kahler
    RH100 Randall head
    4x12 cabinet with Eminence Blue Tick Hound speakers

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      That trick only works on pickups that use 2 different coils, like some DiMarzios. The Jacksons are "even". But what does "more metal" mean? Brighter? Darker? More output?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really... almost every humbucker has slightly "mismatched" coils due to the fact that there are solid slugs in one coil and screws in the other... flipping a pu makes a difference... it´s not huge mind you, and many won´t hear any difference...but many do hear it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This is actually the reason my JB @ the neck of my dinky has the screws toward the neck, it´s a bit tighter than it was the other way around (the way the CS installed it)

Comment

Is the J80C the stock bridge humbucker in the 90 & 91 Pro's?
        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

My 92 fusion H-H had a J50N in the neck and a J80BC in the bridge when new.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wait, I thought if you flipped one they'd go out of phase with eachother. Can that happen?

Comment

Not by simply inverting the pickup - you have to flip the green and black wires to do phase stuff.

And most 90/91 Pros had a J50 with the JE1200 preamp. You don't use the preamp with a high-gainer like the 80 or 90/95Cs unless you're using a very castrated amp - otherwise you end up with an overly saturated tone and massive feedback.

The 80 is not a bad pickup by itself, but then it depends mostly on what you're playing and what type of amp you're using. As stated, it's great for Sabbth, Maiden, Priest, and such like that, but if you want to do older Metallica or Slayer or stuff that's nothing but crunch and meedly, then you either need a J90/95C or a Distortion.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                .... You don't use the preamp with a high-gainer like the 80 or 90/95Cs unless you're using a very castrated amp - otherwise you end up with an overly saturated tone and massive feedback.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a J90c with a 1200 into a dimed Mesa and have neither feedback nor oversaturation issues....and into the 2204 alone it´s still too tame.... I´d say the mileage varies on that one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmmm. How close to the strings is the pickup? I always set mine fairly close to add to the distortion characteristics of the pickup.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Current measurements according to my Mituyoto calipers:

Leading Edge: Bass 2.7mm , treble 1.95mm
                    Trailing edge (Near Trem): Bass 3.2mm, treble 2.35

This is with the string unfretted, fretted @the 24th both are well under 1.3mm at the leading edge.

Comment

Working...
                    X