Scalloped KV3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scalloped KV3

Dude, post the pics of the LTD 7-string. That is your best one to date.

Comment

honestly, i think the KV is much cleaner. I took my time on that one b/c the V is by far my most favorite treasure. The LTD H207 took around 2 days (approx 14-16 hours of work). Granted the LTD doesn't have any big imperfections -it's just I should take the strings off and gloss it up a touch more. i was in a hurry to play it though. I purposely did the V over a week, a few frets at a time, so that I could avoid burning out and slipping up.

ok, here are the fuzzy pics.

top view

treble view

High e side

low b side

www.WarCurse.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        That is a great scallop job! Of course, you have to be in NoVA and I just left there in September. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Does anyone know of a good luthier down here in GA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Noodles currently has a 22 fret Performer neck that I did. Much in the same fashion as these, if IIRC (light on bass side/ lower frets). I haven't seen it in a while, and it was my second scallop job (the peavey predator being the first). This was an eBay buy - the "trial" before I gathered the balls to do the KV neck.

Soon, if i ever get around to 100 posts, I'll consider gathering pics of it and selling it here. Rather pass it on in this community than eBay.

If Dave doesn't mind, he can post some pics of it.

While i'm at it, here's the PeaPee Predator.

deep scallopes from 1-22. tried to emphasize the area closest to the fret.... i think it's called a "tear drop". This was the first job I ever did. You can tell, b/c i went to deep, exposing the side fret markers. however, it looks cool, and after messing with the action and truss rod, i'm getting used to it. On this neck, i learned the hard way how important it is to be liberal with taping up the frets when filing/sanding.

www.WarCurse.com

Comment

I would have never thought the Jackson inlays would be thick enough to do that without going through them. That's amazing! Nice work.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

looks GREAT! nice job, dude!

"that's funny cause classical guitars are The Worst guitars to learn on. super fat neck, nylon strings, no resonance. what a "classic" mistake by Moms all over the world. "
            i hear ya [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] my first guitar ever was a classical guitar....quickly bought myself a cheap electric, though.
            nowadays, the acoustic is a great workout, though! the high action and fat strings really make you shake the crap out of the strings to get any decent vibrato, or any bending related stuff for that matter. it's great for warmup purposes, as the electric feels like a toy when switching from an acoustic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

the great thing about doing a heavier scallop on the treble side and going light on the bass side is that, with standard fins, the pointy part of the fin is on the treble side. It's out of the way, parallel and close to the higher of the 2 frets that it falls between. So, you're cutting mroe wood than inlay anyway.

the wide part of the sharkfin is on the bass side. that's the "meat" of the inlay, and by going light on the bass side, you're only scalloping into the inlay just a touch.

Reverse sharkfins would be scary, if going heavy on the treble side. Then you would be cutting deep into "base" of the sharkfin 'triangle', thus cutting A LOT of inlay.
              www.WarCurse.com

Comment

Working...
              X