Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good coil splitting pu

[ QUOTE ]
    But that doesn't mean it was "designed" for splitting any more than ANY high output humbucker with 4 conductors.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure it was, but as you say thats why its no longer offered anymore, no point. But it was originally designed to offer super D with the sole purpose of being split. And as TJ noted, it came with a switch. I really like the Steve's Special/Air Norton split. Its one of the reasons why I love my old Kelly so much. I've got it wired so its inner coils/off/outer coils to a 3 way mini.

I dunno how a Custom sounds splits but I'll tell ya in 6-10 months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've got my Death Angel to be wired the same way as the Kelly, except with a Custom and a Full Shred.

Comment

There is one pick up I know specifically designed for coil splitting.

Aero Instruments out of Hawaii. The guy is the best pup maker out there period. He has a web site.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Sure it was, but as you say thats why its no longer offered anymore, no point. But it was originally designed to offer super D with the sole purpose of being split. And as TJ noted, it came with a switch.

[/ QUOTE ]
        Yeah, you're right, but I think the meaning of "designed to be split" means something different now than it did in the 70's. THEN, it meant you could DO it, since few humbuckers even gave you the ability then. Luckily, the SD does it pretty well. Nowadays most buckers can be split, but there are a bunch that have gone further and are designed to sound like a *strat* single coil. Generally these have alnico polepieces of some type in one or both coils, and some are also built on taller bobbins and use 42AWG coils.

Just evolution. A car from the 50's may have been "built for speed", but it means different things as things evolve.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          There is one pick up I know specifically designed for coil splitting.

Aero Instruments out of Hawaii. The guy is the best pup maker out there period. He has a web site.

[/ QUOTE ]
          What's special about his pickups WRT splitting? It's not mentioned on the site.

Comment

(DIMARZIO X2N)I think it has more high end/volume & sustain
            then the super distortion & about the only pickup
            that made my fender mexican Strat sound good.
            Am I the only one, but the Fender mexican strat
            came from factory set up just terrible. Buzzed
            like a saw. The floyd had no pull up & not
            recessed pocket like a Jackson.Inotation was
            way off. I changed to the fender bridge pickup
            in the neck & split the X2N & the fender
            pickups & now sounds pretty good. PIC ---

Comment

Working...
            X