Rookie Question: Tuning down 1/2 step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rookie Question: Tuning down 1/2 step

Get any chromatic tuner just to get started, then you can play around with Droped tunings and other non-standard ones. If you have the $$$ get the TU-2 or the Korg pedal tuner.

You're initial post isn't a bad idea, but strings can bind with the capo, and you can end up a bit off when you remove it.
    I have an acoustic I've tuned that way because it doesn't have a pickup and I'm too lazy to go buy a chromatic tuner with a mic.

Comment

+1 on the TU-2. Great tuner!!!

Comment

yeah I do this by ear, and it is good to learn how. can't hurt your overall skill level.

I use cd's by various bands as benchmarks. Foo Fighters for example are in standard tuning for almost every song. whereas Alice in Chains play in Eb (half step down) for most songs. so for me it's as simple as, if I turn on AIC to play Down in a Hole, if my guitar is in standard E tuning, and not tuned to the AIC song, then I know to just bring the E down a half step by ear with the song playing, to match it up and just adjust the other strings accordingly to that. Ace had the technical procedure by just using your 4th low E fret for Ab. but it's also good to learn which bands play in which keys for quick adjustments.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
        X