Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Relic\'ing/Aging techniques?

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not buy it in mint condition and let time relic it then? I just don't understand the market for a new guitar that looks like it's 30 years old and well played. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

We Have a WINNER! That is the right answer.

If you want countless threads on the fools doing this stuff, head over to the lespaulforum. They've got it down to a science using freon, ultra-violet lights, muric acid, and other stuff.

Comment

Wow. I would never do that. It'll only melt or burn.

slevy007

Comment

Poly paint can be aged but it isnt easy.Freezing I wouldnt recomend that either.You will hear all sorts techniques most will not give the well played look.There is a lot more to it than you think.There is a huge market for this service why do you think Gibson and Fender offer it.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If its a Gibson you should snap the headstock off and do a fair job repairing it. Also, make sure both pickups have gone microphonic.
          The best way to relic a guitar is to play it everyday and NEVER put it in a case. When you do gigs, NEVER put it on a guitar stand. Instead, lean it against an amp and make sure it gets knocked over a few times every gig. NEVER clean it. When you change strings, NEVER clean the fretboard. Its a great idea to change the tuners out for aftermarket ones that you need to drill new holes for the little screws. Then.. replace your stock tuners making sure you can still see the holes from the replacements. Bugger up every visible screw as if it was removed and reinstalled a thousand times. Put some drops of salt water on ever pickup pole so they rust.
          I think artificially aged guitars are a joke. I apologize to all who own them for that last statement.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            If its a Gibson you should snap the headstock off and do a fair job repairing it. Also, make sure both pickups have gone microphonic.
            The best way to relic a guitar is to play it everyday and NEVER put it in a case. When you do gigs, NEVER put it on a guitar stand. Instead, lean it against an amp and make sure it gets knocked over a few times every gig. NEVER clean it. When you change strings, NEVER clean the fretboard. Its a great idea to change the tuners out for aftermarket ones that you need to drill new holes for the little screws. Then.. replace your stock tuners making sure you can still see the holes from the replacements. Bugger up every visible screw as if it was removed and reinstalled a thousand times. Put some drops of salt water on ever pickup pole so they rust.
            I think artificially aged guitars are a joke. I apologize to all who own them for that last statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone I can agree with [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I do my best to take care of my guitars, and there are others who are actually TRYING to @#*$ theirs up. Sheesh!
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                If its a Gibson you should snap the headstock off and do a fair job repairing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X