I hate sanding guitars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I hate sanding guitars.

Whoa Pebber, one most post and you're at 1K! Congrats dude!

I wish I had the patience to buy tools. If I get a couple hundred bucks, it's pretty well straight to the music shop or ebay for me! The again, I'm the weirdest buyer there is. I'll be sitting around, or even wake up in the middle of the night and think "Gee, I really wish I had one of those". Couple days later I have it. I hope it happens with a good sander. The minute I think about digging out the paper and filing away on my axe out on the deck I lose all interest whatsoever.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Wouldn't the heat gun also affect the wood joints?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have binding or something like that, most likely. If you use too much heat in an area you could burn the wood. In that case more sanding. Check out project guitar www.projectguitar.com He's got a tutoral on removing paint with a Heat Gun.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Sanding epoxy SUCKS.
        Unless the guitar has binding, I use Kleen Strip.
        They make a specific type for stripping epoxy and urethanes (blue can). It's the only chemical I've found that works.

Comment

I wish I ha dthat sanding station, like Pebber does. I just got the stew-mac catalog, last week, and have been drooling, ever since. That station is sweet! Not cheap,... but sweet.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

dave - i have that same rigid sander. nice unit.

as for hand sanding the body sides and cutaways, i was at the usa custom guitars shop and they used dowels and such for small areas but for bigger areas they used a coffee mug - it was a great radius for a lot of the guitar sides as it turns out.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I hate it too, which is why I don't do it anymore [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
              X