Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shipping a guitar

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were to do this, would I just take off the bolts, and simply remove the neck? (obviously remove the strings)

[/ QUOTE ]

yep; unscrew the bolts and put them (along with the neck plate) in a baggie. wrap the body in bubble wrap and tape the neck plate baggie to the face of the body. if there's a floyd on there, take that off the body too, take the trem arm out of the floyd, and bubble wrap the floyd and trem arm separately. tape the wrapped trem arm to the wrapped floyd. wrap the neck and pay attention to the headstock; make sure it's wrapped enough so the point won't get exposed, and put it all in a box. make sure the parts cannot move inside the box, and you're all good.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Make the cheap bastard pay for a case!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        don't forget the bridge (if it's removeable). if you tell the guy you don't have a case, and you want to pack it safely, i'm sure he'd understand. personally, i'd MUCH rather someone ship it in pieces if there's no case. but that's how i roll, yo.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

YES +1

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          is it a bolt on? if so, take the neck off and bubble wrap the ever-living shit out of everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap!
          Am I the only one that finds this to be a little overkill?

Comment

couldn't tell ya; just relaying a tip i got from justin @ jcguitars a few years ago. seemed to be a nice and safe way to ship a guitar when you don't have a case or a gigbag. and you can ship it in a smaller box, which doesn't really matter to me one way or another.

personally, i'd rather receive it in pieces, bolt the neck back on and enjoy it than open a box to find that i have the newest UPS steinberger conversion on my hands because the shipper didn't pack it well enough.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've shipped a few guitars this way.

Once I was on a business trip and picked up a guitar with no case. I went to Office Depot and picked up a box. I took the guitar apart and put it in my suitcase, padding it with clothes (I have a big hard shell Samsonite). I took the rest of my clothes and put them in the box. On my flight home, I checked my suitcase and a box of clothes [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X