Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7 string body wood ?

[ QUOTE ]
    Even though most people down play basswood, the honest truth is it is a good resonating wood with great tone. What usually kills the tone of basswood is the fact that it is so soft that manafactures put many coats of paint to stop the dinging/denting which deadens the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

The UVs sound pretty good with it. The RGs, less so. I suspect that's being picky with the wood. Even so, I just don't like basswood's tone - too middy, and the low end lacks definition to me...
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I would go with mahogany.
      Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I had Noodles's Jackson Stars 7 before he did, and I put the 81/7 in it because the 707 was so muddy and lifeless in that guitar. That is not a very 'live' guitar, and the EMGs probably aren't the thing for it. Personally, I can't stand the 707, but then I prefer the 81 to the 85, in general. I would definitely stay away from 707s in a mahogany body--you'd get low-end mush, most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described exactly what I went through with my '87 Soloist and EMGs. There is just something about an alder body and maple through neck that just don't play well with EMGs. Drop some passives in it and it comes alive.

Honestly, I think it is the wrong guitar for your playing style. There is a lot of midrange meat to the sound, while you need something that has much more attack. Swamp ash is the body wood for you. I've got a lot of pick attack, so swamp ash winds up sounding too brittle for me.

Comment

I would personaly go with all mahogany body for that low mid growl,arched maple top and EMG 81-7 to brighten things up
          i think its a great balance

as for basswood, i think its one of the worst tonewoods
          i would never go custom shop with that body wood
          it lacks any kind of defeniton, and has no presence

Comment

Well i got my Custom 7 string. The EMG 707 and Alder body really work well together. Very Tight and articulate. No mud, no mess.
            93 USA Soloist EDS
            USA HT6 Juggernaut
            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
            X