X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24hr scallop job

"Does the scalloping provide for a cleaner note with less finger pressure?"
    That is a good question.
    Typically yes, but I still say part of playability even with a scallop board depends on the guitar and its setup.
    If you think how easy it is to play on large frets with some guitars, then apply that to the next level with a scalloped fretboard. Bends are for the most part considered easier. I often see guys who just scallop from 12th or 15th on up, just for the ease whoch scalloping provides for bends in those postitions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      "Does the scalloping provide for a cleaner note with less finger pressure?"
      That is a good question.
      Typically yes, but I still say part of playability even with a scallop board depends on the guitar and its setup.
      If you think how easy it is to play on large frets with some guitars, then apply that to the next level with a scalloped fretboard. Bends are for the most part considered easier. I often see guys who just scallop from 12th or 15th on up, just for the ease whoch scalloping provides for bends in those postitions.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I understand just scalloping the higher frets, make sense to me. However, I've never played one as mentioned earlier, still, the whole bending notes makes sense to me also. Even though having the entire fretboard scalloped might seem a bit overkill to me, still I can see where it would seem useful.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Looks good bro, wish I had the nuts to try it myself.
        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

^ i might give it a shot with this cheapass fender neck thats just lyin around

Comment

The main thing for me was mapping out the depth mentally ya know? I was like "this is how far I want to go" and then trying to keep the flow of depth going from greater on the treble side and on the higher frets, to lesser on the bass side and more shallow in the lower number frets.

I used the line where the fretboard attached and tried to keep a smooth even flow of depth. As the frets get farther apart in spacing, IMO it becomes a higher degree of difficulty to keep the scallop even, smooth and well shaped relative to the others.

Comment

Skorb I found I was not chording much past the 7th fret so thats why I started there.Chording on the scalloped area takes some getting used to.Double string bends like Viv Campbell does is very easy with the scallops.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

wow. those are deep. but uniform and even. good job. i did a peavey predator neck for my first one and it looks close to that - but maybe a hair shallower. I later found rosewood to be so much easier to work with, when I did a performer neck and my KV3 neck with fins.

i find scalloped necks to be so much easier on the fingers. Not feeling the wood seems to alleviate a lot of resistance and finger pressure. During hammer-ons it feels like my fingers are just bouncing off wires instead of slamming into wood. If you dig in too hard on the upper frets, you wont' go sharp since the distance between the frets is short (unless you squeeze the crap out of it intentionally). Rather, the string just sinks into your flesh a little deeper. which then allows you to bend the crap out of the note. it's great.

all i can say is, you never realize how much wood you're hitting until you go back to a normal board. I feel like i'm fighting the board on an unscalloped neck. especially when the action is too low for my taste.

jeezus i'm never going to hit 100 posts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                www.WarCurse.com

Comment

Working...
                X