Steve Vai uses .007????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steve Vai uses .007????

In the 7th Heaven videotape that Ibanez put out around the time the RG7620 was released, Steve Vai is explaining different tunings that can be used on a 7 string. He says you can add a lower string and go with a low B. Or you can add a higher string and tune to A, but he mentions how it is hard to find a string that can handle the tension required by that tuning. I can't remember if he specifically mentioned using a .007 gauge. I've still got that VHS and can check if somebody wants to know for sure.

Comment

You can get away with .008s on a fixed bridge guitar, but forget about it on any guitar with a locking trem--they'll snap within days and never properly stay in tune, based on my experience.

Really thin strings like that are great in high gain applications, because they don't muddy things up the way .010s do. Obviously, if you play with a really heavy attack, the .008s aren't going to work for you.

I find that .009s are a good bet, though I do experiment with the .008 sets every now and then. I'd be interested to play a .007 string, but I can't imagine it would last very long.

Comment

The heavier the strings, the heavier the sound. The heavier the guitar, the more your shoulder hurts. At least this is my theory for today! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          KK of priest used a 007 for his high E
          i think rotosound makes em?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah rotosound make 007's , i used to use them when i first started playing when i was a kid ( only used a 0.38mm dunlop nylon pick on them) anything else would throw them out of tune.
          yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

"You have to make your own .007"s. It's pretty easy, you just put some 0.008"s on a lathe and cut off a thousandth on an inch..."

> Good luck facing,center-drilling,and turning those. Not to mention they'll go limp trying to suspend them between centers. The smallest item I've ever successfully turned was a 4" length of 1/16 drill rod,it had to be held in a collet,and I had to buy a 00 center drill,about as small as a circuit board drill. I was only able to take off .005 before the tool pushed it right out of the live center,which will give you religion considering it was turning at 1400 RPM. Tommy D.
            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

O.....k

Comment

Sounds like he was shooting for the worlds smallest pinch hitter! Good damn job! Try again, I'm sure it'll work.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I can't string a .009 w/o breaking it sometimes (always during the stretching process tho.) I do like .009's overall and I would likely play .008-.048 if I had a string sponser to give me a custom gauge every night.

Comment

> "O.....k"

> Sometimes,machine shop school gets boring,or you do things you probably shouldn't or can't because you are trying to expand your skills. This was the result of one of those efforts. My grandfather made this thing in the toolbox he gave me that blows my mind to this day. He took a large diameter straight-pin,solid steel about .020 dia,drilled a hole in it,and made threaded caps for each end. The threads look on the ends look like rough spots,until you look at it under a 4-10x jewelers loupe. He was Goodyear's Senior Master Tool and Die Maker,the most experienced and longest tenured machinist in the entire company. I wish I had seen it,but he got a letter on the job once,and was greeted by a seemingly empty envelope. Upon further inspection,he found a speck of metal about the size of a piece of glitter,so he drilled 5 holes in it and sent it back. Tommy D.
                    "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Ernie Ball makes a .008, and they're waaaaaaaay small and toneless. Great for mega-high gain and hot pickups and shredding, but totally suck for anything heavy or bluesy with moderate gain.
                      And yes, you can find .007s. I had a set once. Talk about fragile!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yngwie uses Dean Markley 8's

[/ QUOTE ]
                      the smallest string is an 8, but the rest of the set is from a 9-10 gauge set

Comment

Yngwie used to use a .008 set and tuned down 1/2 step... I thought he had terrific tone back in the day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I started with 009's and switched to 10's for probably about 6 ot 7 years and went back to 9's cause they are easier to fret and bend. We do a lot of Motley Crue where I tune the low E string to D and I also drop the A string to G and they sure do get loose. I cannot imagine drop tuning on a set of 8's. I alost want to go back to 10's on my Les Paul for Drop tuning.

I just went on the D'Addario site and they sell single 7's The lightest XL set though is an XL 8-38 Extra Super Light.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X