X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steve Vai uses .007????

KK of priest used a 007 for his high E
    i think rotosound makes em?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Also Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) uses a set .07-0.36 by picato. His sound is neverthless VERY heavy and harmonically full...
      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
      '92 Fender Strat scallop
      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        Ernie Ball makes a .008, and they're waaaaaaaay small and toneless. Great for mega-high gain and hot pickups and shredding, but totally suck for anything heavy or bluesy with moderate gain.
        And yes, you can find .007s. I had a set once. Talk about fragile!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yngwie uses Dean Markley 8's

[/ QUOTE ]
        Actually, I just saw an ad with him recently, and his signature set is now 9 gauge.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Also Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) uses a set .07-0.36 by picato. His sound is neverthless VERY heavy and harmonically full...

[/ QUOTE ]
          Tony had to use light strings, though, since he lost the fingertips of his middle and ring finger in an industrial accident. He wears thimbles on them, he can't even feel the strings!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            Ernie Ball makes a .008, and they're waaaaaaaay small and toneless. Great for mega-high gain and hot pickups and shredding, but totally suck for anything heavy or bluesy with moderate gain.
            And yes, you can find .007s. I had a set once. Talk about fragile!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yngwie uses Dean Markley 8's

[/ QUOTE ]
            Actually, I just saw an ad with him recently, and his signature set is now 9 gauge.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought it was like a 10-46 gauge set with just a 8 or 9 at the top so he can bend up to the high e. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

You have to make your own .007"s. It's pretty easy, you just put some 0.008"s on a lathe and cut off a thousandth on an inch...

Comment

I use the Ernie Ball 8's & have no tone problems what so ever.
                According To The Prophecy

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy Gibbons uses 8's and has for a number of years. I think he falls under bluesy and moderate gain.
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

funny, I've heard Billy uses a VERY heavy set.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I got it from a Guitar player interview...

The low, grinding tones you’re getting on Mescalero are spectacular. What tunings are you using?
                      "I’ve been tuning down as far as low A, which is just berserk, and I’m using a set that goes .008, .010, .012, .020, .030, .040. It’s very comfortable. B.B. King once asked me, “Why are you fighting them big, heavy strings? Don’t you know they make strings that are easier to bend?” I said, “Yeah, but I thought the bigger the string, the bigger the sound.” He said, “Well, just turn that amplifier up.” [Laughs.]"

Here's the link. http://www.guitarplayer.com/archive/..._Features7.htm
                      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Hmm, guess that proves that Ibanez suck, since that's what I used 'em on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That is some fine logic, Newc. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

thanks for the link Jimmy,
                            Billy used heavy strings before Mesaclero.
                            I remember that someone who played with his Pearly Gates said that the strings were unbeliveably heavy, the action was very high and the neck was very uncomfortable but the tone was like heaven.

I personally think that heavy strings sound better than the light strings, the sound is fuller.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Didn't steve do that with the ibanez universe? he had it like had it designed for an originally a higher string with 7's but he said they kept breaking?

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I think that was Lynch.

Comment

Brain May uses .008-.038 or at least he used to.

Comment

Working...
                                X