Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to start painting

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for all the tips. I'll look into the Paasch and Badger detail guns and the Devilblis big gun. The Sears compressor sounds right up my ally.

OK, here's a stupid question. If I plan to do this in my basement, which is like a dungeon (unfinished), can I put a big exhaust fan in the window and that would be enough? Ideally, I could get my brother to put up a pseudo rigged paintbooth(crude). Is there a danger of fire or explosion from the hot water heater and furnace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep... thats a stupid question. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The exhaust fan will indeed remove the overspray. The cool thing is if you are painting a guitar red you can expect everything outside in the near vacinity to your fan will be red too. Of course this will happen until either:
    You feel woozy, you pass out and die
    Your house catches on fire from a spark or something
    or both.
    A trick to keep the overspray from covering the outside is to hook up a house and mist water directly in front of the fan. That knocks the spray down. Wear a mask!!! Get a life insurance policy and up the coverage on your homeowners policy. DON'T FORGET TO MAKE OUT A WILL!!!
    I suppose you now get the point!
    You can purchase professional (not crude) portable paint booths that have down draft exhaust and everything.

Comment

Great thread!
      I'd really love to see some of the paint booths that you guys have built. I've wanted to build my own for a long time now. I'm currently using rattlecans and spraying on my back porch. I've been fortunate with the results I;ve been getting, but it sucks having to deal with wind, bugs, ect... Besides, I'm getting tired of having to wait 2-months for the paint to cure and want to try using polyurethanes to try to speed up the process.

How big should these paint booths be?

Comment

I'll have to setup the booth to get some pics, and that could be awhile, since I have done some re-arranging. I've got it down and it folds up on door hinges. The top is removeable and it is sealed to the top of the walls on regular window weatherstrip. My booth is 4' X 4' X 8 foot tall. It can be tight at times, but bodies and necks are no problem. There is a cutout on the back for a kitchen ventilation hood and is mounted on the bottom for a "down draft" air movement effect. On the front is a "air-in" filter. It's a common household type, 24" square. The hood is vented by an 8" "dryer type" hose that mounts to the outlet end of the fan, then to a panel that fits my window when opened.
        Polyurethanes are fantastic, but are much more expensive, more paint components are needed, (reducers, catalyist, etc.) that nitro lacquers, however they do not need blush retarders, fisheye out, very forgiving in fluctuating humidity and temperature and dry very quickly so then can be wet sanded and buffed out in about 72 hrs. Most finishes cure in 24hrs, but I like to wait till 72hrs. after the last clear coat has been applied.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
        X