• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Q\'s on Duncan \"Full Shred\" Pickup

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've had one sitting around forever as well. Any well known players use these?

[/ QUOTE ]

george lynch; that was his pickup before the screamin' demon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure he wasn't using Duncan Distortions back then?

When I ask about what Vivian Campbell uses, I get conflicting results of either a Full Shred or an Invader.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% sure. he was in duncan ads as a full shred guy. i'm also 100% sure that viv used invaders back in the day. that's how i learned about what an invader was.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Cool... May have to dust it off and have a go with it... Everything I own has EMG 81s in them. Might be time to play with this...

Thanx for the great input!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking the Full Shred will be the passive equivelent to an EMG81 - let me know how it sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
      The Full Shred doesn't have that much gain. The DiMarzio X2N is more of the equivalent of the 81... even better, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a full shred trembucker in my Ibanez 560RG - very midrange heavy pickup.

Pete

Comment

I had always heard the Full Shred was designed for Vivian. George pop's up every couple of years on the Duncan Forum, and the last time he was there he mentioned using the JB and the Distortion before the Screamin Demon. But he switched back to the JB and used it in the Bengal for Wicked Underground album.
          But I guess he has a new guitar (ESP) coming out with a new Duncan model. Suppose to be a supped up JB.

IMO, the Full Shred seems to be a cross between the JB and the Custom. More lows, less highs, but plenty of mids.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            IMO, the Full Shred seems to be a cross between the JB and the Custom. More lows, less highs, but plenty of mids.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Hmmm. I didn't care for the JB, but I love the Custom I have in my 7-string.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a nightswan-Dug the pickup in Mahogany- Its a cool pickup cause its not so heavy with gain that its muddy. Good pickup IMO. Don't know if you would consider it the be all end all for a crushing sound.

I use to get free EMGS from a bro at the time swapped out the Full shred jb for 81/85 ended up putting the full shred back end.

But to put it in perspective I prefer and 85 in the bridge over 81. I like the darkness that an 85 brings to the bridge.

Anyway the FS is a good pickup. Its worth checking out if looking for something else afterall you are not looking for it to sound like an 81 or you would just put one in.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                george lynch; that was his pickup before the screamin' demon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a ton Sully, I was wondering about that a few days ago.

Comment

Great responses guys! Thanks...

Listening to their sound bytes, I find the Full shred to be one of the more pleasing sounding pickups that they have (to my ears actually).

I had it in a Model 4 a long time ago, and took it out, since it was so different from the rest of my EMG guitars that I had to really re-EQ my rig in the middle of a show when I used it live. I remember liking it though, once it was dialed in. But, it's been so long I wanted some of your thoughts.

Thanks! Seems promising.

Comment

I have it in my model 4 right now. I made a big thread on here with a review. You should check it out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X