Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking about making a Change

[ QUOTE ]
    Certainly go either Gibson or Dimarzio for a Les Paul.
    A nice contrasting powerful combination is the Evolution in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck.
    I also REALLY like the 500/498 combination. They are great pickups. Alot of players also like to install PRS Dragon 2's or the HFS/Vintage Bass combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

Do you mean 498 or 496? The 498T is a high output Alnico V bridge pickup, the 496R is the matching neck ceramic to the 500T.

The reason I think you might not have a typo is that a lot of people seem to like the JB in the neck, and the specs for the 498T are similar to a JB. So putting a 498T in the neck would be like putting a JB in the neck, and a 500T in the bridge = a Duncan Distortion in the bridge (sort of...)

Comment

Super D's are awesome in my LP Standard, (bridge and neck) I had burstbuckers and the 500T/496R combo in there and, in my opinion, the SD's blew them away in warmth and tone.

Comment

I guess I need to make another swap, trying SuperD's in my Classic.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I guess I need to make another swap, trying SuperD's in my Classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you do, let me know what you think. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think I'm going to take some of the advice above and try some of the pickups I already have, instead of spending more money. I really liked the Alnico II pro when I had it in the neck and have been debating on picking up the bridge version. I'll try the TZ and then maybe the PafPro. Probably Saturday morning.

Jason

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            EMG's are great if you need to do session work for Immortal, but a fine piece of lumber like that deserves to be heard.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Say the guy who plays grindcore. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              Certainly go either Gibson or Dimarzio for a Les Paul.
              A nice contrasting powerful combination is the Evolution in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck.
              I also REALLY like the 500/498 combination. They are great pickups. Alot of players also like to install PRS Dragon 2's or the HFS/Vintage Bass combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

Do you mean 498 or 496? The 498T is a high output Alnico V bridge pickup, the 496R is the matching neck ceramic to the 500T.

The reason I think you might not have a typo is that a lot of people seem to like the JB in the neck, and the specs for the 498T are similar to a JB. So putting a 498T in the neck would be like putting a JB in the neck, and a 500T in the bridge = a Duncan Distortion in the bridge (sort of...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.. 498T in the neck, 500T in the bridge.
              They are s combination of balance and power. Its like having an hot JB in the neck and a Steves Special in the bridge. They also clean up really well and they sound fantastic totally clean.

Comment

I also have a Classic and I tried the SD '59....good pickups for sure, but they had half the output of the 496/500, therefore today if I could change I'll put a pair of zebra 496/500 with 4 cable conductor in order to make the famous "page" circuit...
                '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                '92 Fender Strat scallop
                '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

I made the change. I put the SD Alnico II pro in the neck and the DiMarzio TZ in the bridge. I can tell you for a fact the EMGs will never go back in this guitar!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The A2P has got to be one of the best neck pickups ever! I can actually play below the 5th fret with the neck PU in there and it not go to mud. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm still thinking about the TZ. I like it but now wonder what a matching A2P would sound like in the bridge.

One thing I did notice is that I like the sound I get now even with out an overdrive pedal in front like I normally run my amp. I usually run it about medium gain, classic rock, and boost it for a little more 80s style and it sounds great both ways now. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jason

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I also have a Classic and I tried the SD '59....good pickups for sure, but they had half the output of the 496/500, therefore today if I could change I'll put a pair of zebra 496/500 with 4 cable conductor in order to make the famous "page" circuit...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can do the single coil splits, but trying to find good quality DPDT pots WITH long shafts is next to impossible.

I opted for CTS SPST switched 520K pots from Black Rose Customs for both tones, and regular 520K CTS pots for the volumes.

They work pretty good, but a single coil 500T still has more balls than a Tele or Strat pickup. The high powered magnet keeps the voltage up there.

Comment

i would try the SD custom custom (sh-11)in the bridge. but the 500T is a tough pup tp beat.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have an Alnico II Pro in the neck position of my Heritage...when I first got it, there were Alnico II Pros in both positions, but I felt like I needed something a little hotter in there so I put a Seymour Duncan Custom. Now I think I would like a '57 Classic. I don't know. I think it depends on the amp you're using.

Comment

Working...
                        X